Coralline algae not growing

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up an running for almost a year now and I’m not getting any of the pink coralline algae in my dt. My rocks are mostly dark purple/blue but don’t have any of the crusty coralline algae or the pink stuff not even on the glass.
I know it’s not my chemistry because I have the pink stuff growing everywhere in my sump with a cheap Chinese light. I’m using a bozily led light in my main display which is growing coral nicely and I’ve seen it used before with good success, and growing lots of coralline, it has also been tested by telegraham. I was running it at around 50% and I made it higher about a week ago but I’m only getting more bad algae.
Should I just wait?
Thanks,

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that have it growing, hate it. Consider yourself fortunate.
Yeah I have heard that so many times. I had it in my old tank and I loved, it had never gotten to the point where it would completely take over my power heads, and equipment, I also had an itching to control it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if coralline is growing on your sump then they should grow in DT too - lights that corals like should be good for coralline as well - maybe just start scraping them off of your sump and sprinkle them into ur DT to help it seed better?

also do you have nature coraline eaters in your DT? like urchins?

if the above don't help, then please post tank pic and water param - specifically ALk, Calc, Mg, and Ph - something is preventing it from growing in DT...

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if coralline is growing on your sump then they should grow in DT too - lights that corals like should be good for coralline as well - maybe just start scraping them off of your sump and sprinkle them into ur DT to help it seed better?

also do you have nature coraline eaters in your DT? like urchins?

if the above don't help, then please post tank pic and water param - specifically ALk, Calc, Mg, and Ph - something is preventing it from growing in DT...
I don’t have any coralline eaters. Now that i cranked up my light I’m starting to see more coralline. I doubt parameters have anything to do as it’s growing in the sump.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your sump a fuge? one param related possibility is, if flow/turnover is not high enough and you have fuge, the fuge's ph will be higher than DTs due to lower co2 concentration. Coraline grow much better in higher pH.

Again, not saying u have a param issue or maybe you tested ur sump param vs dt param and the two are the same. just wanted to illustrate a situation where things we assumed were OK was actually causing the problem.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your sump a fuge? one param related possibility is, if flow/turnover is not high enough and you have fuge, the fuge's ph will be higher than DTs due to lower co2 concentration. Coraline grow much better in higher pH.

Again, not saying u have a param issue or maybe you tested ur sump param vs dt param and the two are the same. just wanted to illustrate a situation where things we assumed were OK was actually causing the problem.
I have good flow in the sump and my params are the same. Now that I have cranked up the light my algae scraper is starting to get some pink coralline. I think it was a light issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back