Coralline algae question

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have a saltwater tank at home and we ended up getting rid of it. I recently just started one at work. However I have dried live rock with dead coralline on it, does anyone know if new coralline will grow over it?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
But you will have to bring in a new (live) coralline algae source, such as a piece of live rock with it on it, or a frag plug or snail shell.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to piggy back off this question, once the Coralline spots start to appear, about how long does it take before it overtakes everything and turns the rocks completely purple ?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to piggy back off this question, once the Coralline spots start to appear, about how long does it take before it overtakes everything and turns the rocks completely purple ?

Hard to say, had a pretty mature tank and some rock still didn't have it on it...

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank for about 4 months and it just started to grow. I noticed a few very very tiny spots on the glass in the back. Its mostly on plugs, but spreading fast now. I noticed it on plugs that never had it before and now every plug I have is filled with it. I haven't noticed any rocks with it yet, but I am in the bright green stage (precursor to coralline). I am stoked! lol its growing rapidly on the plugs. Im hoping it will spill onto the rocks soon and more on the glass.

the plug on top is in October (zero coralline) and the bottom is today.

105A8E33-B73A-4EE2-A1DB-D508EB5FD256.jpeg

Back