Coralline algae question

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you sale coralline algae chips or know where to get some? My lfs is not the best and most places that sale it online, the shipping is more than the actual product. I want to grind up some chips to seed my tank.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Indo pacific sea farms (IPSF) sells pvc cards that are coated with it to seed your tank. They have purple and pink. Much better, IMO than the bottled stuff. I feel you on the shipping though.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy Arc Reef bottled coralline spores in different colors for about $20 on Amazon with free shipping.

Not sure if you consider that expensive or not.
Just finding some rock or snails locally with coralline growth would be cheaper but if you're desperate.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arc Reef bottled coralline spores
Yes I would stay suggest just buying some snails or a small piece of live rock that is covered in coralline to seed your tank. Better if you can actually see the coralline instead of a bottle with a few spores that you can't even see. Just my 2 cents though....

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would stay suggest just buying some snails or a small piece of live rock that is covered in coralline to seed your tank. Better if you can actually see the coralline instead of a bottle with a few spores that you can't even see. Just my 2 cents though....
I found a guy about 100 miles away who has a ton in his tank. He is going to shave me a bunch and mail it to me just for cost of shipping

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the arc reef stuff with good success. I like the cards better though, assuming reasonable cost.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the arc reef stuff with good success. I like the cards better though, assuming reasonable cost.
I'm sure the ARC stuff works but without putting it under a microscope you have no idea if there is any coralline in the bottle and if you added any snails or hard shell animals/corals on any type of base during that time the coralline could just as well established from that.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the ARC stuff works but without putting it under a microscope you have no idea if there is any coralline in the bottle and if you added any snails or hard shell animals/corals on any type of base during that time the coralline could just as well established from that.
They have coraline algae spores in the bottle, so yeah some idea.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's advertised to have spores, as stated in post $9, to be used within a specific amount of time while the spores are viable. (I suppose you could argue possible false advertising but pretty sure their documented culturing/propogating method is real)

Tried the purple once for fun when I had only pink coralline from live rock and one dry rock structure that was pretty new.
Purple appeared and took off rapidly after adding so seems pretty likely to me it was from the Arc Reef bottle.
*just one sample set there

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hardcore on trying to get some to seed, I went to pet stores and bought snails with coralline on their shells. Also bought some cheap frags I didnt care about bc the frag plug was covered in coralline.

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I make a mistake by seeding branching coraline?

Don't know if I'm going to get just branches or if it creeps and covers. Right now I just have white dots on back wall and on the rock.
Should I reseed with creeping coraline?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.6%
Back