Coralline on frogspawn

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this frogspawn from the lfs on Thursday. It looks the same way in my tank that it did in the shop. When the lights went out and the polyps retracted, I noticed some coralline algae on the stalk and I’m a bit concerned. It seems really healthy but I’ve read that coralline only grows on dead tissue. Any thoughts?

Also, is this branching or wall if you can tell?

First pic was when lights were on, second pic was 1 hour after lights out. I’m not worried about the retracted polyps (unless I should be) because it looks fine when lights are on.

IMG_7661.jpeg
IMG_7679.jpeg
IMG_7678.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh has receded from the white, rock-looking part of the stem. Not the end of the world, but you don't want to see continued recession. Many, many (many) Fimbriaphyllia and euphyllia frags come to consumers already weakened or stressed and often when they don't survive long, it's nothing the hobbyist has done. Keep an eye on it, maintain good water quality, and it will probably be fine. An iodine dip can't hurt though.

OP
OP
gingeramoeba

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh has receded from the white, rock-looking part of the stem. Not the end of the world, but you don't want to see continued recession. Many, many (many) Fimbriaphyllia and euphyllia frags come to consumers already weakened or stressed and often when they don't survive long, it's nothing the hobbyist has done. Keep an eye on it, maintain good water quality, and it will probably be fine. An iodine dip can't hurt though.
Oof okay. I didn’t even think of that. I did a coral dip before putting it in my tank and it seemed fine. This is the tightest i’ve seen the polyps retract. My biggest concern is that my Nitrates are high (40 according to API kit) but everything else in my tank is thriving. I guess pray for me.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof okay. I didn’t even think of that. I did a coral dip before putting it in my tank and it seemed fine. This is the tightest i’ve seen the polyps retract. My biggest concern is that my Nitrates are high (40 according to API kit) but everything else in my tank is thriving. I guess pray for me.
Nitrates of 40 is not high, especially for LPS.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that like a frogspawn/hammer mix? I called it a hammer at the lfs and they didn’t correct me but i kept looking at it and it looked more like a frogspawn.
Sort of. You can Google it and find out more information

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, many beautiful successful tanks run with phosphates over 1.0 and nitrates 50-100.

MUCH better than starving your coral with ultra low nutrients
Agreed a very successful reefer keeps his levels insanely high and has amazing growth and coloration....
Edit: the reefer i am talking about is @fishguy242

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed a very successful reefer keeps his levels insanely high and has amazing growth and coloration....
Edit: the reefer i am talking about is @fishguy242
Why thank you! (but I'm a she ;) )
Edit (after his edit...), never mind, lol

Last edited:

nkusumoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a branching frammer. I have a green tentacle and purple tip. It's probably getting use to the tank. Coraline algae growth is normal. I have a bunch on my frammer stocks and other euphyllia. Just as the others said, keep an eye on the flesh. If you see any loss, dose recover too.

OP
OP
gingeramoeba

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I will get a regular iodine dip and keep an eye on the little guy. Is it safe to assume that fish wouldn’t survive with such high nutrients? (sorry, getting a little off topic but i’m really appreciative of your feedback). this tank is 4 years old btw. Came into my hands about 2 weeks ago.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back