Coralline or something different

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E38D7064-E937-46A5-B668-ED9C219D4A1E.jpeg
This is the best picture I could get . Does anybody else's coralline algae have those spots like this. Or is this another type of growth? It looks different from the other coralline spots so I wasn't sure

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I have something similar in my tank. Does yours have web like filaments that come out every once in a while? I've seen them look like a spider web, or just one almost like a spaghetti worm but pretty long.

Also, mine is growing out of a base that looks like it extended off of a dead hammer skeleton, my hope was it's a new head growing. I'll try and add my own pic later, I have to run out right now.

OP
OP
Fifty8reef

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I have something similar in my tank. Does yours have web like filaments that come out every once in a while? I've seen them look like a spider web, or just one almost like a spaghetti worm but pretty long.

Also, mine is growing out of a base that looks like it extended off of a dead hammer skeleton, my hope was it's a new head growing. I'll try and add my own pic later, I have to run out right now.
I'm not sure I actually. I just noticed it today. I'm going to pay attention to that tonight

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181022_181836-01.jpeg

This is the best I can get. I need to up my photo game... But you can see the base of it to the left that originates from a small hammer frag that didn't make it (it was a frag from a LFS that was off the rack and on the fringes of the tank, had a 50/50 shot at pulling through)

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone will recognize it for us. While my pic doesnt show the white spots in it, it does have a very similar look to yours and was more so about a week or 2 ago. It seems as though the purple ring is becoming more fleshy. I was just going to let it do its thing and see what happens after a few more weeks.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle2 you have a vermatid snail epoxy over or break off

To cstanberry it almost looks like a coral growing could wr get a daylight pic?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are vermatid snails around, but in this pic you can see it's similar to the OPs
20181022_185551-01.jpeg

*Edit: I'm sorry to have threadjacked, I just thought it would be helpful to have more than one pic of it in different stages of its growth. Sorry Cstanberry, I'll stay out of it and just keep an eye on the replies. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fifty8reef

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are vermatid snails around, but in this pic you can see it's similar to the OPs
20181022_185551-01.jpeg

*Edit: I'm sorry to have threadjacked, I just thought it would be helpful to have more than one pic of it in different stages of its growth. Sorry Cstanberry, I'll stay out of it and just keep an eye on the replies. Thanks!
No worries at all. Answers are needs. Someone else may have the same question

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181022_185551-01.jpeg

Still think its a verm...with the way it looks and your description of it pushes me towards a verm....

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cstanberry...try to use your flash on the cam to illuminate it.... #reefsquad

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still think its a verm...with the way it looks and your description of it pushes me towards a verm....

Sigh, you're right. I had those confused with the little white ones. After further research I agree what I have is a vermatid and I'll start taking things apart to get it out. Thanks RL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back