Corals and Fallow Period After Brook

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tank is fallow to treat brook is it still ok to have corals and inverts in there? Also would it be ok to add corals and inverts to the tank during the 6 week fallow period?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly fine.

I've done a fallow period or 2 in my reefing career. It's how I got into coral in the first place. Can't add any fish, might as well fill her up with coral. lol

Inverts are a picky situation.... If your inverts are held in a system with no fish, it's ok. If they are held in a system where fish are present, they can introduce fish parasites to the tank and will lengthen your fallow period.

OP
OP
B

bobbym2289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly fine.

I've done a fallow period or 2 in my reefing career. It's how I got into coral in the first place. Can't add any fish, might as well fill her up with coral. lol

Inverts are a picky situation.... If your inverts are held in a system with no fish, it's ok. If they are held in a system where fish are present, they can introduce fish parasites to the tank and will lengthen your fallow period.
That’s exactly the answer I wanted to hear! Thank you

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is not unique to your fallow period. In theory, encysted parasites can be present on plugs and hard surfaces of corals and other inverts. Lots of detailed threads on this. But I think the general consensus is that fish are the most obvious vector.

So, decide now whether you will QT all corals for 60/90 days going forward. If not, then there is no reason not to add them during your fallow period. I personally don't QT corals, but do break off plugs and scrub hard surfaces. But snails? I plop them in. Not 100% safe, sure. It is about risk management. But no fish goes in my tank unless it makes it through therapeutic copper for 30 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back