OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have questions as do others including what the Phosphate looks like and also what the Nitrate number really is. Using either the Red Sea test or a Hanna checker will be useful for that. If the Nitrates are literally at zero that is a part of your problem. I've had SPS die over night from a bottom out when I was also feeding a couple times a week.

That said, you may have more than one issue and may be why it's hard to solve. If the Gonis for example are also slowly slipping away they may actually need some liquid aminos, something like Acro Power. Without it, mine waste away over the course of months.

You also mentioned you are dosing, are you also including trace elements in this regimen? I've had an issue where as I increase the dosage I have to mix the trace elements, especially the heavy metals, at a far lower ratio than what it suggests.

Hopefully these are some helpful thoughts.
Yes so when I mentioned dosing I do calcium and alkalinity to keep it at a stable 9 and 450. I have a red sea nitrate test and it says 0, which I know is a problem. I have been keeping the water to clean. I am going to cut back on water changes and feed heaveir. Also the gonis aren't slipping they just aren't opening up as much as they use too. Which I think is because of the zero nitrates. These corals that I am having issues with have been find for many months, but now that I have been able to consistenly do water changes in larger volumes my water has been to clean. I am thinking that is the sole reason as nothing else has changed. When I say more consistent I mean during the summer I might miss a week or so, whereas I haven't missed one now for about two and half montsh. The phosphate test came back as zero from the LFS and they use red sea, which is also an issue. I think it simply comes to bottoming out my tank.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a photo of your tank?
9.25.21 FTS.jpg

Seems to be the best photo I can get with my phone

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes so when I mentioned dosing I do calcium and alkalinity to keep it at a stable 9 and 450. I have a red sea nitrate test and it says 0, which I know is a problem. I have been keeping the water to clean. I am going to cut back on water changes and feed heaveir. Also the gonis aren't slipping they just aren't opening up as much as they use too. Which I think is because of the zero nitrates. These corals that I am having issues with have been find for many months, but now that I have been able to consistenly do water changes in larger volumes my water has been to clean. I am thinking that is the sole reason as nothing else has changed. When I say more consistent I mean during the summer I might miss a week or so, whereas I haven't missed one now for about two and half montsh. The phosphate test came back as zero from the LFS and they use red sea, which is also an issue. I think it simply comes to bottoming out my tank.
Those two are definitely the first item to address. I actually have trouble keeping my Nitrates up so I dose them sometimes. I just did my weekly testing for example and with heavy feeding I'm at 1.9PPM which is somewhat low so typically I dose a little weekly or so.

If you start to feed heavier and you cannot get the Nitrate up you may consider dosing. I use B-Ionic because it doesn't have unfavorable side-effects but there's lots of options. For the Phosphate if you just feed the Reef Roids it'll add Phosphate and eventually you'll have the opposite problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back