Corals are turning white

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dosed at all...
You could use fusion 1 and 2 to get the alk and cal were there supposed to be and honestly depending of the amount of coral there you might not need to dose daily....

If you dont have to much in there besides a few frags and you are regularly changing water be it weekly or bi weekly your parameters should stay pretty stable. Now of your not staying on the water changes your going to need to dose.

What are your N03 readings normally? Before the 3 water changes.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also fed ocean blend coral vibrance
That’s fine to use.
Water chemistry in all 8 parameters must be stable and in the normal ranges, then, stuff does real well, extends and colour up.

Personally, that’s seems to occur about month 7-8 for our set ups, but ok to try some softies earlier.

We like people to be happy, so we are very sequential when it comes to the addition of corals.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For phosphate I use only Hanna UL Phosphorous checker.
For Alk only Hanna checker.
All else salifert.
To raise Alk I use Seachem Fusion 2
To raise CA I use Seachem Fusion 1
To bump nitrate and phosphate I use Brightwell NeoNitro and Neophos.

I would not increase Alk more than 20ppm per day. 21F2698F-0FCA-48E1-93E1-C1251FEF2042.jpeg
Tanks looking great uncle, i think cpatel needs the better tests like your hanna checkers before they start dosing though. I wouldnt trust those api alk or calcium tests ever

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking great uncle, i think cpatel needs the better tests like your hanna checkers before they start dosing though. I wouldnt trust those api alk or calcium tests ever
Thank you and I can’t agree with you more.
Super big pay back when you “know” your chemistry.
The hobby actually became easy once I had good tests and learned how to use them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i dose with the water changes?
When Stoney coral loads are small, a regular water change with a salt that matches your desired parameters should suffice.
It’s important you keep your salinity at 1.026 as salinity affects all the major element players, ie, ALk, CA and Mg.

Id watch Alk closely, it’s a good indicator, if it starts to fall say 10ppm every day, even after a water change, this is an indicator that you need to start dosing in addition to your water changes.

So for sure, do a weekly change, test 24 hours later and record. Then test mid week to see how much Alk fell, then your weekly water change, test 24 hours later and see how close your Alk comes to the starting number.

If it’s close, additional dosing is not necessary.

Back