Corals closing after feeding and staying closed

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I experienced this before withe my zoo's and a green star. When I first started feeding (using beneReef) and spot fed those corals they would close for 3 or 4 days before they opened again. After that I left those out off the feed list. Broadcast feeding affected them a little but nor much. The last 2 months or so my corals have been a bit droopy and not growing. My LFS recommended feeding some aminos. That worked great, within 48 hours after the first feeding, everything started looking better. I used "fuel" by aquavitro. My only exception was my sun coral. It has been doing great, growing best of any of my corals and was getting fed nightly. It would open about 30 minutes to an hour after the nightly fish feeding. I've been feeding it LPS food the same as i do the other LPSs. I dosed the aminos for the first time 8 days ago. Since then the sun has been closed up tighter than a drum (same as my zoas back when I spot fed them once). Has anybody else run into this? Starting to get worried about the guy. He's one of my favorites. All my numbers are good and haven't changed anything outside of dosing the aminos.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well personally I don’t spot feed zoas or gsp or anything of the sort. The smaller mouth corals tend to get there foods and nutrients through the water column. I only spot feed my nems, trachy, Duncan, Cynaria and I only do that maybe once a week or sometimes even once every two weeks. I also dose AB+ daily every single night. And my tank is responding to this method very very well. If they’re closing so days on end perhaps your forcing too much food or they don’t like that food. How big is the tank? What are the water parameters?

OP
OP
C

Cab01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I some how like i managed to start 2 theads with the same title and info. I have 75 gal with 29 gal sump. Have feed amino only once. Water numbers are good. Fish get feed 2x day. Was only spot feeding benereef 2 x week. Spot fed the sun coral every night for last couple months.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back