Corals closing?!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for the water in the tank, if it is tap water and water conditioner i think we found one of the problems

OP
OP
Teen reefer

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the water is filtered by a water purifier that I use for there will be any bad things going into the reef tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its probably not doing what you think it is doing, do you know what the filter is called or know the tds of your water? heavy metals build up over time because they bind to rock which can cause problems down the line, its possible this is happening to you

OP
OP
Teen reefer

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok I will try to find a good RODI filter at my local fish store this weekend

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would look online, i got mine from bulk reef supply on sale because it was cheap. I do wonder if rocks need to be changed out or something though, at the very least I would put i bag of chemipure regular or just carbon into the tank to absorb anything

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank had been running for 6 months no problems
Your thread history seems to suggest otherwise. You threw a wild seahorse you caught at the beach into your tank?! Its a newish tank, and you have a decent number of corals. At 6 months, you should start having husbandry down. Managing water changes, water testing, water parameters. Stuff can still happen, but if you maintain a good regimen of maintenance the tank should be stabilizing. I think you're a bit behind the curve, which is why corals are presenting problems now, but also on the right path towards fixing that. Get a RODI unit, get test kits, what salt do you use?
I am using a power head with 200 flow and I do not have a RODI water purifier.
Get another one or two of those power heads. 200gph if that is what you mean, is not nearly enough.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you live close to your LFS you can just buy rodi water from them most likely, your tank is so small you dont need too much, but it will be the only water you should put into the tank. Do you have a hydrometer or a refractometer?

OP
OP
Teen reefer

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a hydrometer but I do not have a refractometer and I use Insta ocean sea salt and I will get a RODI systems and some Red Sea test kits and also what RODI systems do you recommend and how do you set one up?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank has only been up for 2 months though correct, not 6? your first video was only from 2 months ago which is why i asked, but lol watched the video and a lot of the info you had is just wrong. I think you might need some more research before putting out informational videos. you dont need gfo, 0 phosphates are detrimental to reef tanks in most cases. Those bio ball gems or whatever should never be thrown out. They are your biological media. I would try to figure out the correct setting for the ai prime freshwater to use it over saltwater tank as it will contribute to am large amount of algae.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also throw out the hydrometer and buy a refractometer, swing arm hydrometers are unreliable and inaccurate. this forum and bulk reef supply (BRS) videos are super informative if you need a beginners guide

OP
OP
Teen reefer

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question how can I connect a RODI to my sink and into my tank because I do not have a water holder due to the fact the tank is in my bed room up stairs and what type of RODI things do I need to make this work?

OP
OP
Teen reefer

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you can, can you send a link to everything I need to make this work because I do not know how to set this up and the supplies I need for it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, any rodi that looks like this and fits standard filter sizes will work, this is the one from brs https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html.

you dont need the inline tds ( i got the value plus unit and never use the one on the unit) this will work for cheaper

everyone i think likes the refractometer from BRS plus it comes with calibration solution

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use a 5 gallon bucket from home depot ($5) to transport and hold the water. The rodi filter should come with a fitting for standard garden hoses and sinks as well, at least it did when i bought it (over 10 years ago)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back