Corals doing poorly and everything seems fine

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water paramters are normal my fish are doing fine and some of my soft corals are doing good but some are not. My zoas wont open and its been 3 weeks since they closed, A small branching hammer I have wont open and My Purple Chalice coral is beginning to bleach

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post all your parameters?? Something might seem fine to you, but could actually be a little too low.

Also what type of lighting do you have?

Next, what is the flow like in your tank? Specifically around the corals that are giving you problems.

Lastly, have you checked to see if there is anything that could be aggravating the corals, such as pests, debris, or even coral aggression.

Pics could help too.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post all your parameters?? Something might seem fine to you, but could actually be a little too low.

Also what type of lighting do you have?

Next, what is the flow like in your tank? Specifically around the corals that are giving you problems.

Lastly, have you checked to see if there is anything that could be aggravating the corals, such as pests, debris, or even coral aggression.

Pics could help too.

No pests
Salinity: 1.026
KH:10.7
Mg:1900ppm
Calcuim:475ppm
Amonia:0 ppm
Ph:8.3
Nitrate and Nitrite 2 ppm

light Horizon Aqua at 24 w 81 b

flow around affected corals very light they are all in the mid of the tank except the chalice coral

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @El_Guapo13, your Mag is very high. Normal Mag would be from 1250 to 1400. That high of a Mag could be the cause by itself IMO.

If you are measuring Nitrite in you tank, then I don't think that your Nitrate reading is accurate. Most test kits convert NO3 to NO2 and then measure total NO2. If that is the case, your NO3 could be 0 ppm.

What is you PO4?

If both you NO3 and PO4 are 0 ppm, that and your higher Alk and Mag could be the issue.

Edit: I would have your numbers verified by an independent source such as a trusted LFS.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @El_Guapo13, your Mag is very high. Normal Mag would be from 1250 to 1400. That high of a Mag could be the cause by itself IMO.

If you are measuring Nitrite in you tank, then I don't think that your Nitrate reading is accurate. Most test kits convert NO3 to NO2 and then measure total NO2. If that is the case, your NO3 could be 0 ppm.

What is you PO4?

If both you NO3 and PO4 are 0 ppm, that and your higher Alk and Mag could be the issue.

Edit: I would have your numbers verified by an independent source such as a trusted LFS.

how could one lower mag levels

Andrew9909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would firstly recheck your magnesium. Are you dosing? I dont think there is any salt that mixes anywhere near that high so unless you are dosing I dont see how it could be so high. Also redo your nitrite test. In a cycled aquarium you should be reading 0. If you truly do have a measurable amount of nitrite, that could definately be causing your issues also.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would firstly recheck your magnesium. Are you dosing? I dont think there is any salt that mixes anywhere near that high so unless you are dosing I dont see how it could be so high. Also redo your nitrite test. In a cycled aquarium you should be reading 0. If you truly do have a measurable amount of nitrite, that could definately be causing your issues also.

I am not dosing

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your tank first of all? What is the temp? What salt mix are you using? How do you know the salinity is 1.026?? What are you using to test salinity?
Also which test kit are you using? What’s your alkalinity and what test kit do you use for that? Also how are you testing phosphates? What type of power heads or wave makers do you use and the GPH they have?? Also what postions are they pointed and where are they actually positioned? Are you using RODI water or tap water or distilled? There’s so much you need to list you haven’t given enough details. Based on all I know so far it makes sense why corals aren’t doing too well.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how could one lower mag levels

As I said in this thread and other said in your previous thread a week ago, have your local fish store verify your water parameters and then post them here.

In you other thread, you mentioned that your lights are not very good. If the corals were doing well, but not starting to not look good, you could be starving them. Low nutrients and low light are not a good combination for coral.

Do you have access to a PAR meter? If so, get some measurements along with a verification of your tests from you LFS. In your other thread, your NO3 was 0ppm.

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just like islandlifereef said you need to do more research on your lights/lighting. You don’t just add any light and put it at any setting you want. You need to measure the par. And research the corals and the best par levels for that specific coral. Plus you still haven’t given us the size and gallons of
Your tank.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your tank first of all? What is the temp? What salt mix are you using? How do you know the salinity is 1.026?? What are you using to test salinity?
Also which test kit are you using? What’s your alkalinity and what test kit do you use for that? Also how are you testing phosphates? What type of power heads or wave makers do you use and the GPH they have?? Also what postions are they pointed and where are they actually positioned? Are you using RODI water or tap water or distilled? There’s so much you need to list you haven’t given enough details. Based on all I know so far it makes sense why corals aren’t doing too well.

55 gallon, temp 78, testing using red sea for alk calcium and potasium, the rest is top fin, I have a genaric power head doing 425 gallons / hour and a canister filter doing I dont know how much, Im not testing phosphates but will have them tested next sunday, Im using ro water and the salt is pre mixed by my lfs. Ill attach pics of affected corals. The ones affected are top right and bottom left If you need anymore information id be happy to oblige.

IMG_20200210_220431 (1).jpg

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just like islandlifereef said you need to do more research on your lights/lighting. You don’t just add any light and put it at any setting you want. You need to measure the par. And research the corals and the best par levels for that specific coral. Plus you still haven’t given us the size and gallons of
Your tank.

The light is more than sufficient the reason it is lowered it it
Your tank.

This light is made for mixed reef aquariums, I have a 55 gallon, how do I measure par

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is more than sufficient the reason it is lowered it it

This light is made for mixed reef aquariums, I have a 55 gallon, how do I measure par

On your other thread you said it wasn't a very good light, so how do you know it is sufficient?

You can measure PAR with a PAR meter. Your LFS may have one or you can rent them from bulkreefsupply.com.

It is really hard to pick out any coral in that picture, can you get better pictures?

Based on what you have posted, your flow is really low. You Mag is really high. Your nutrients are very low. Your light may or may not be sufficient. Any of these could be the problem, but we won't know how to proceed until we get parameter test verification and more info on your lights.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your other thread you said it wasn't a very good light, so how do you know it is sufficient?

You can measure PAR with a PAR meter. Your LFS may have one or you can rent them from bulkreefsupply.com.

It is really hard to pick out any coral in that picture, can you get better pictures?

Based on what you have posted, your flow is really low. You Mag is really high. Your nutrients are very low. Your light may or may not be sufficient. Any of these could be the problem, but we won't know how to proceed until we get parameter test verification and more info on your lights.

I believe you are mistaken about my quote the lights are sufficient and sold specifically as coral lights, what would be consider high flow my canister filter could provide fairly high flow to the entire tank, should I adjust the orientation, What do you mean by my nutriants are low (nitrates?) or is it somthing im unaware of Ive attached better pictures of my tank and the affected corals thanks for the advice if I can provide anymore information let me know

The strange part is some of my corals are doing fantastic
IMG_20200216_172707.jpg IMG_20200216_172702.jpg IMG_20200216_172648.jpg IMG_20200216_172653.jpg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the quote.

My lights arnt the best so the ratio needs to be higher I had another comment that said to bring them down so thanks for re assuring a possible reason of decay. If you have anyother ideas let me know

Just because it is sold as a coral light doesn't mean it is sufficient. The only way to know if you have enough light is by measuring the PAR.

For flow, you should shoot for at least 20 time tank volume for turn over. If your power head is operating at 100% efficiency, you are at less than 8 times plus whatever that canister filter provides, which probably isn't that much.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pests
Salinity: 1.026
KH:10.7
Mg:1900ppm
Calcuim:475ppm
Amonia:0 ppm
Ph:8.3
Nitrate and Nitrite 2 ppm

light Horizon Aqua at 24 w 81 b

flow around affected corals very light they are all in the mid of the tank except the chalice coral
Magnesium is way to high like stated above.
24watts for a light is nothing, most people would run 200+ watts on a tank that size.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with verifying salinity. LFS salt water does not mix that high in Mg nor ALK, so I suspect salinity is higher than 1.026.
None of us calibrate as often as we should.

If that is not the issue, the next thing to check is nitrates & PO4 (checked by Hanna ULR). Low nutrient and high(er) ALK don't mix well for corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back