Corals dying

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think euphyllia's are much harder to keep than reefers think. They just melt for one reason or another.
The hobby is challenging but the cause of coral decline can probably be determined and typically it is operator error versus some natural occurring condition in the tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get the salinity up to 1.026 and dose some PO4 “slowly.” Raise it by only .02 ppm a day if dosing a one time manual dose. If dosing on a pump (with the dose spread out) you can easily raise it by .10 ppm in 24 if you needed to, but most tanks typically don’t need this much in 24 hrs. Usually .02-.04 ppm will bring up the level no problem (with most tanks), but every tank is different. Look into something like “Brightwell Neophos” and get the level up to .03 ppm and I think you’ll appreciate a big difference with the corals and tank.

OP
OP
M

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get the salinity up to 1.026 and dose some PO4 “slowly.” Raise it by only .02 ppm a day if dosing a one time manual dose. If dosing on a pump (with the dose spread out) you can easily raise it by .10 ppm in 24 if you needed to, but most tanks typically don’t need this much in 24 hrs. Usually .02-.04 ppm will bring up the level no problem (with most tanks), but every tank is different. Look into something like “Brightwell Neophos” and get the level up to .03 ppm and I think you’ll appreciate a big difference with the corals and tank.
So I just got the hanna phosphate ULR checker. It showed 0.28. Is that high???

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. It's higher than the norm (0.05-0.1). But I doubt it is fatal to coral at that level.

Joe W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the previous parameter comments. You have a new tank. Fix parameters before attacking a larger problem that may not be there. Best of luck.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a while before your tank is mature enough
I am just now having Duncan's, Triton test came back with high silicates and zero iodine so now that I've got media in to combat that I'm hoping I can do Coral besides leathers, anemone and softies. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back