Corals for beginners

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to add some corals into my tank. I have 2 clownfish in my tank right now. I have an evo 13.5 with a protein skimmer on it. The light I use is the one that it came with. I also ordered a Wavemaker Jebao SW2. Just looking to add something easy to keep as I’m very new to the whole salt water aquarium but have kept freshwater for a year now. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken that light can only support softies.
Good beginner coral are soft and lps coral like frogspawn, hammer , Duncan’s, torches, candy canes. Be careful with some soft coral that can become invasive

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken that light can only support softies.
Good beginner coral are soft and lps coral like frogspawn, hammer , Duncan’s, torches, candy canes. Be careful with some soft coral that can become invasive

So what about zoanthids and green star polyps?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several to consider. Only issue is that some of the "beginner" corals can grow quickly. Being that you have a small tank, it can become problematic quickly.
Some very easy corals to start are many of the Monti Caps, but are fast growers. Pavona is a great coral that doesn't grow nearly as fast. It seems to have e fallen out of favor a bit, but is still a great choice. Duncan's, Candy Cane corals are also some great choices

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to love the evo. Here is mine (forgive the white disc and plus....temp block to prevent corals from touching in certain areas):
msmJIMt.jpg

Beginner corals tend to be more softies like gsp (green star polyps), xenia and mushrooms. Some folks after a while tend to find these as pests due to them growing very well but honestly as long as you keep an eye on them they are a very rewarding coral. Many zoanthids and palythoas would be a good choice as well. What are your long term goals?

The light on the evo has grown everything in the tank.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to love the evo. Here is mine:
msmJIMt.jpg

Beginner corals tend to be more softies like gsp (green star polyps), xenia and mushrooms. Some folks after a while tend to find these as pests due to them growing very well but honestly as long as you keep an eye on them they are a very rewarding coral. Many zoanthids and palythoas would be a good choice as well. What are your long term goals?

The light on the evo has grown everything in the tank.

Honestly I’m new and don’t know much on what I want. I think it’s a trial type of thing to see where I want to take things but I’m definitely trying to gain some knowledge and stay in the hobby.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m new and don’t know much on what I want. I think it’s a trial type of thing to see where I want to take things but I’m definitely trying to gain some knowledge and stay in the hobby.

Smart. You definitely sound like you will do well. One of the golden rules is to have patience in this hobby and it seems like you have that.

Since I know you mentioned GSP (so did I) it is definitely a nice coral that has a nice green and flows with the current. This will grow rather quickly so if you can isolate it on its own rock it will prevent it from encroaching on others.

There are also a variety of shrooms around as well and add a different look. Some grow rather quick.

Xenia is a favorite of mine and especially my wife since she likes to see the pulsing behavior. They grow pretty quick as well and if you have a local reefing club around, I am sure you can even get some for free if you ask.

Green sinularia is a nice coral and adds a tree like structure. It can get rather big but is easy to frag and you can trade pieces of it off or sell it to others.

A nice LPS you might like are M. lords (formally known as acans). They grow fairly decent and do like to be feed about once a week or so but this generally goes for LPS as a whole. Other LPS like hammers and frogspawn would do well too are a classic in the reef.

The light on the evo definitely will grow any LPS and even support bubble tips as seen in my picture. They have been in there for the past 1.5 years.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock light on the Evo is good for softies and LPS - there are a select few who even have SPS going as well.

In mine I have GSP (had to isolate it eventually!), Zoas, Mushroom, Finger Leather, War Coral, an Acan, and a Torch.

Good luck and take it slow!

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just purchased a few different corals. When I get home I’ll mention which one I had got.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Xenia is detaching from the frag also I don’t really know where to place it as it is a flat frag. The others have a tip at the end.
ae59802deda666c4596b52f19491811a.jpg

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rest of photos all add when I have everything placed in the tank

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a picture of the whole tank and than these are all individual photos of the frags. Here’s the names of everything I got GSP, Zoanthid, leather coral, Xenia, bubble pearl and a whisker coral. If maybe placement is an issue please let me know
98fd8d28785d7baf88d3846d8491332b.jpg
386e957aa9fea267c34bd53f5beddf0c.jpg
ac1f50900b9b2739ae10682f250c5284.jpg
b893c1caf7312718420d4d447cc8cf65.jpg
4f8b597914cb3dd4a009c0cf335d4f6d.jpg
3daf5b424c1f4fa373ebaefaa92dcf1d.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back