Corals under white light

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Know many corals look wild under actinic light but I've always preferred a whiter light with a little blue.

I'm looking for suggestions on specific corals that look good under white light and even ones to avoid as they only pop under blue.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milleporas usually look fantastic under white light. Some more of my favorites are classic corals like Hawkins Echinata, Bonsai, PC rainbows, Green Slimer, WWC yellow tips, Pink Lemonades, Strawberry Shortcakes and many more!

In general, acros tend to look good under full spectrum when colored up. Here are several of mine under a 14kish spectrum.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To piggyback off of the poster above, I think SPS is going to be the best answer. Sticks under white lighting don't seem to need the blue for the colors to come out well. I don't know how experienced you are but Monti caps, in my opinion, are really simple and absolutely gorgeous under whiter lighting.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the blue look as that resembles what i see when I dive...then again when I dive I don't see the fluorescent pieces that we keep lol. the Blue plus bulb is the best way to describe the color while diving.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milleporas usually look fantastic under white light. Some more of my favorites are classic corals like Hawkins Echinata, Bonsai, PC rainbows, Green Slimer, WWC yellow tips, Pink Lemonades, Strawberry Shortcakes and many more!

In general, acros tend to look good under full spectrum when colored up. Here are several of mine under a 14kish spectrum.

I think these are some great suggestions also Setosa for some rich contrast
Here is my HT PeachTree milli under C+ and B+ T5's
20200622_134154.jpg

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, any suggestions aside from millis?

I know orange and yellow corals usually pop under blue, anyone know of any kind of yellow or orange corals that do well under whites?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I find white light is best for corals with orange and or yellow in them. Blue light just makes some acros look more orange or yellow. Hard part is finding acros that truest have these pigments in them and don’t just fluoresce as these colors.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I find white light is best for corals with orange and or yellow in them. Blue light just makes some acros look more orange or yellow. Hard part is finding acros that truest have these pigments in them and don’t just fluoresce as these colors.
Thanks pedo, which colors or types might you avoid, I mean ones that only look good under bluer light?

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that we tend to underestimate the look under white light in this hobby as of late. However, the fluorescence of the coral under blues is unique, and does make the biggest contrasts.

A mix of both is healthy, and I think we can get there, being with mixed T5s or the newer LEDs. We just have to adjust what we have to our liking and coral's will follow in general (perfectly? most likely not, but the light might not be the limiiting factor in your tank anyways.). Lol

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks pedo, which colors or types might you avoid, I mean ones that only look good under bluer light?

Generally I find most any acro looks good under white light but that’s just my personal preference. Any acro that has nice contrasting tip color should be a good bet. Just stay away from the corals pictures under blue light that are filtered to look like the yellows and oranges are nice but normally those colors are just mostly green. Also careful of the blue light pics that show the tips of the coral as a crazy blue. Sometimes it’s just white new growth reflecting blue light. It’s hard to say I would avoid ANY acro because of color.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back