corals

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know what to say added about 9 acro's over the last month 5 are dead lost skin on all of them all the basics are ok i check them 2x a week i have a 75 gallon tank change 10 percent 2x per week i don't know where to go between last year and this year i lost a lot of money on corals somebody please help thanks guys need whatever you know

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know what to say added about 9 acro's over the last month 5 are dead lost skin on all of them all the basics are ok i check them 2x a week i have a 75 gallon tank change 10 percent 2x per week i don't know where to go between last year and this year i lost a lot of money on corals somebody please help thanks guys need whatever you know
Gary....this definitely doesn't sound fun. SPS used to be really hard to keep, but now it seems that the secrets have been unlocked and it really boils down to a few key things.

Good salt would be nice......
A good balance of Calcium, Magnesium and stable Alk!
Temperature fluctuation is never a good thing.

So many things, but I would say to just start right here, and maybe we can figure out why you're not kicking ****!

Eric

OP
OP
G

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary....this definitely doesn't sound fun. SPS used to be really hard to keep, but now it seems that the secrets have been unlocked and it really boils down to a few key things.

Good salt would be nice......
A good balance of Calcium, Magnesium and stable Alk!
Temperature fluctuation is never a good thing.

So many things, but I would say to just start right here, and maybe we can figure out why you're not kicking ****!

Eric
i will start with the salt didn't think of bad salt i might have gotten i buy the water mixed up already crap i didn't think of that well i just will work harder on this salt first thanks

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will start with the salt didn't think of bad salt i might have gotten i buy the water mixed up already crap i didn't think of that well i just will work harder on this salt first thanks
Salt is a discussion often had, and it can be a passionate one too. Just today I was in a long discussion with one manufacturer discussing a lot about salt, and all the differences in salts, and how it's made etc....THERE IS A DIFFERENCE! Especially with coral. Do you know what your levels of Calcium, Magnesium, Alk are when you first mix it or before you add it to your aquarium?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody I know with an SPS dominant tank buys pre-made saltwater from an LFS. I flat out just don’t trust them, you never know if they’re changing their filters or if it’s been contaminated. I would really urge you to get an RODI unit and start making your own water, then pick a quality salt that mixes around where you like to keep your parameters. Have you successfully kept soft corals and LPS? Some of the easier SPS? If not, I would recommend starting there and then building up to acros/SPS.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I equate being successful Reefer at Acros to being an unlikely "scratch golfer" who averages Pars and the occasional Birdie on most Country Club golf courses. Lol.

To grow Acros you need:
* a mature tank with lots of good bacteria
* a clean tank free of bad bacteria, pests and parasites
* you have to have master level knowledge of Alkalinity consumption and ways to know how to dose and test for it daily
* superior lighting equipment
* pro level understanding of po4 and no3 and be skilled at managing them inside a tight range

I've been reefing since '07. I swore off Acros like 10yrs ago. I wouldn't put an Acro in my DT even if it was given to me for free.

Read my signature. Lol

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* pro level understanding of po4 and no3 and be skilled at managing them inside a tight range
Let's just sit here and repeat this mantra over and over again. My tanks are just too young, and nitrates and phosphates are just too high, to make acro cultivation anything but a pipe dream in my house. I now satisfy my SPS itch with indestructible species like stylocoeniella.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody I know with an SPS dominant tank buys pre-made saltwater from an LFS. I flat out just don’t trust them, you never know if they’re changing their filters or if it’s been contaminated. I would really urge you to get an RODI unit and start making your own water, then pick a quality salt that mixes around where you like to keep your parameters. Have you successfully kept soft corals and LPS? Some of the easier SPS? If not, I would recommend starting there and then building up to acros/SPS.
I have a LFS near me that sells different types of pre-made mixes...and I think also LAX Aquarium offers different brands (labeled) pre-mixed too.....BUT, testing your water before you use it will help you determine if it's good or not, or maybe you need to add some buffers to it before using. At least you know what your putting in your tank and adjust as you need to.

I get it....mix your own, control your own water can be a huge benefit. If you have the time and space, it's a great way to go.

I agree with Max too .....if you haven't been keeping other corals, sps are your "experienced" user coral group, but as we have seen, success is very attainable with the right recipe.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a lot more info here I believe. Parameters, tank age, are you dosing? Do you have other corals doing well, tank shot, etc. before any conclusions or help can be offered.

OP
OP
G

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest i would have to say no i even had Acans go on me going to get and make water asap the more i think of it the guy from the LFS is one cheap SOB i think you guys are correct and the worst part is i have a bill murry coming along with a optimus prime i will figure this out no sleep for the weary thanks for the help

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More background is definitely needed before you go flaming an lfs for selling “bad” water.
I don’t wanna be that guy but if you’re buying expensive sps and don’t even have an rodi, hence relying on a lfs water you should probably test their water before you use it. Let’s say it is their water, I still don’t think you can just blame them, there’s a bit of a priority issue here.
Priority 1 should be a quality saltwater source.
Priority 2 should be good test kits (Hanna, salifert)
Priority 3 should then be corals.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More background is definitely needed before you go flaming an lfs for selling “bad” water.
I don’t wanna be that guy but if you’re buying expensive sps and don’t even have an rodi, hence relying on a lfs water you should probably test their water before you use it. Let’s say it is their water, I still don’t think you can just blame them, there’s a bit of a priority issue here.
Priority 1 should be a quality saltwater source.
Priority 2 should be good test kits (Hanna, salifert)
Priority 3 should then be corals.
Oh, I don’t think they should go blaming the LFS, I just think they should stop using it and start making their own water, it’s just one less possible cause. Beyond that, it kinda sounds like they’re trying to run before learning to walk, so to speak. If he’s got a bunch or SPS RTNing and even LPS melting, but is still ordering expensive acros, it sounds like someone new to the hobby that’s super excited and is doing a cannonball into the deep end but doesn’t really know how to swim. I completely agree with you on the list of priorities, and I would add that if the goal is an SPS dominant tank, to start with some softies or LPS first, then try easier SPS, and once they’ve kept those alive and growing for a year, then try some acros. So long as they stock and place those corals strategically, they’ll be easy to swap out as their experience level grows.

OP - I would really urge you to cancel the order you have coming. You’re not going to sort your tank out and make it a mature tank in a few days. I would slow down, try some soft corals, maybe some LPS as soon as your parameters are stable. You haven’t posted your parameters, are you testing your water? How old is your tank? Have you successfully kept any corals alive for more than 6 months (I’m not asking that condescendingly, keeping more forgiving species will allow you to gain the experience you need to successfully keep acros)? What kind of lighting and flow do you have?

OP
OP
G

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A list of common parameters will help us, help you.
my cal. was at 449 alk 11 mag at was a little low 1200 i moved that up quickly 0 ammonia 0 nitrate nitrite 0 ph 8.2 salt was at 1.025 all was in the money except the mag needed to add some

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you cleaned your sandbed thoroughly? Most sand beds are not cleaned regularly. This allows them to become reservoirs of nitrogenous and phosphorus related toxins. The water in your sand bed is part of the water column. It will leach out those toxins and they will go to work killing your SPS and torch corals first. I’m surprised at how few people are aware that they must keep their sandbeds clean.

OP
OP
G

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will check sand bed tomorrow and change over the weekend and i will keep my nitrates around 5 if possible.

OP
OP
G

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will check sand bed tomorrow and change over the weekend and i will keep my nitrates around 5 if possible.
You never want 0 nitrates
will try to get it up to around 5 i never have them high at all most of the time its aroind 0 today went to a different lfs one that i'm praying it works well all new wATER I THINK MY STORE THHAT I USED WHEN I GOT STARTED WITH THIS AND STAYED WITH HIM FOR A 1.5 YEARS EVERY SPS DEAD NOT A ONE SURVIVE DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF SALT HE WAS USING I'M USING RED SEA NOW HAVE TO HOOK A RO/DI IN THE HOUSE SO I CAN MAKE IT FRESH AS I USE IT UP THANKS

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back