Cord Management

  • Thread starter Thread starter ckirby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ckirby

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
51
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you cord and cabinet management experts have any advice?
I don’t want a fire hazard and the cabinet is only going to get more crowded.


20260814_122328_813280CE-D83A-4C58-B18E-2045AE55A54F.png
 
I'd raise the powerstrip up some, in case water ever spills under the tank 🙂

GFCI protected outlet is mandatory for safety around aquaria. They are easy to install if you're comfortable with electricity, or you can have an electrician install one if you're not comfortable with that kind of work. You can also get just a short extension cable with a built in GFCI like this:

shock-shield-gfci-extension-cords-26020008-6-64_600.jpg


Link to GFCI extension cable at The BORG

Good luck!
 
If that is a plastic consumer grade power strip I'd suggest upgrading to a metal commercial grade model
(see this article).

I also like labeling all my wires at the outlet and everywhere there is a connection so they are easier to keep track of.
 
make a matching false wall/board to hide the cords. mount the controls on the front, route the cords through to the back, sandwich the cords between the board and the cabinet wall.
 
Not an expert here, but I do work in IT and have a bit of a cable management kink.

Use this to route your cables: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cable+clips
Use this to coil your slack cable: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=velcro+cable+ties
Use this to hold your powerbox stuff: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicone+laptop+charger+holder

Easy to stick to surfaces, cheap, and adjustable. Keeps cables neatly secured to walls or ceilings and, most importantly, gets them off the floor.

I’d avoid tape, screws, and especially zip ties—you’ll eventually want to adjust something, and zip ties are a pain to undo.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new