Cord management - are yours organized or spaghetti ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently stopped at a friend's house to help him connect a UV sterilizer and was horrified as to the amount of cords literally thrown down on floor and connected to power strips also on the floor. I demanded he get those power strips hung up on the stand which I helped him do which also created drip loops. I recently installed a cabinet below for organization and wire management with housing for all my power bricks.
There are many ways to economically organize and conceal cords. I highly recommend automotive wire harness cable from automotive store which are under $20 for 20 feet and neatly conceals the wires

Harness:

1692883910778.png

Sorry for big picture but wanted to assure you see what it looks like. There are wire channels you can use as well as Zip ties. As you know saltwater and electricity do not play nicely together and often result in fire or charred plugs. We see many persons on here planning new tanks, upgrades and adding new components. Often we don't see or hear anything about wire management or considerations for electrical consumption with plugs.

What method of wire management do you consider or use?
Have you had an issue with trying to find a certain cord which became a project because it was a nightmare to locate?

1692884312387.png
1692884333059.png
1692884365822.png

My Cabinet:

1692884458261.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stopped at a friend's house to help him connect a UV sterilizer and was horrified as to the amount of cords literally thrown down on floor and connected to power strips also on the floor. I demanded he get those power strips hung up on the stand which I helped him do which also created drip loops. I recently installed a cabinet below for organization and wire management with housing for all my power bricks.
There are many ways to economically organize and conceal cords. I highly recommend automotive wire harness cable from automotive store which are under $20 for 20 feet and neatly conceals the wires

Harness:

1692883910778.png

Sorry for big picture but wanted to assure you see what it looks like. There are wire channels you can use as well as Zip ties. As you know saltwater and electricity do not play nicely together and often result in fire or charred plugs. We see many persons on here planning new tanks, upgrades and adding new components. Often we don't see or hear anything about wire management or considerations for electrical consumption with plugs.

What method of wire management do you consider or use?
Have you had an issue with trying to find a certain cord which became a project because it was a nightmare to locate?

1692884312387.png
1692884333059.png
1692884365822.png

My Cabinet:

1692884458261.png
I like to say my cables are an "organized mess" haha

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out very cleanly organized and over time as I’ve added stuff or needed to pull something to service it my cables have slowly become a disaster. I’ve been thinking of wiring a meanwell power supply to eliminate power bricks, but I believe they run hot and that scares me a little

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have converted to staying neat after trying to find a plug connected to it’s related power supply brick . I use zip ties for the cords and Velcro power supply holders and I’ve never looked back . Finding and locating is as easy as opening the door to my cabinet .

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All cords to power supplies are replaced with shorter, one foot versions when longer runs are not needed. All power cords are labeled such that everything is easily identified. I use 3M Command Strip Hangers on the wall to route all power cords. Nothing is in "cable management" or zip tied as I like to be able to remove any piece of equipment at any time...easily.
20230528_145312.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as others my tank started organized but over the years it has gotten worse and worse. It is incredibly hard to reach certain parts of my cabinet because of poor planning when I designed it which makes keeping new cables neat almost impossible. I will say that I do keep power strips mounted on the stand to hopefully to prevent an electrical fire.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep ziptieing things together. Then when I go to deep clean have to cut all of them up. How do you keep your cables managed if you have to service the stuff?
As stated above, hair clips. :) Or if that's not cool enough for you you can use theses...

Velcro straps work too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back