Cord management - are yours organized or spaghetti ?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah fish tank wiring is like building computers for me. Always start out nice and clean and over time with breakdowns, repairs, upgrades etc. the best laid plans are laid to waste. Atrocity might be an appropriate term for the current state of wiring in my 10yo 200g. It's always more challenging when you don't have a fish room and tons of equipment is crammed under a tank. If I ever replace this tank the new stand will definitely have end doors.

Short Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see a photo of this same angle 4+ years from now when the tank has large colonies of corals and you've had to replace broken equipment that is labeled and zipped.

I think we all start off this way (some better than others,@Short Reefer, yours is amazing btw), but as our focus moves to biology of a healthy tank, that beautiful set up takes a back seat and we realize having equipment set up as a show piece isn't necessarily practical when you have a late night emergency and the tanks health is on the line.

Not to say that some people won't keep up with maintaining a show piece. For the majority, they quickly realize that it doesn't make the tank health any better and that time can be better spent on something else.
I understand your point. But my focus are not just healthy of corals but cleanliness as well.

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it started
IMG_5566.png

How its going lol
IMG_2710.jpeg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mime is an organized mess. Nobody sees it and when I have to pull something for cleaning it's simple. No cutting zip ties and spending hours making it pretty again just to clean a wavemaker.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep ziptieing things together. Then when I go to deep clean have to cut all of them up. How do you keep your cables managed if you have to service the stuff?
Use Velcro wire ties instead of zip ties. Recommended by most IT departments. Easy to remove and can’t be over tightened like a zip tie which could damage small thin wires inside sheathing.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point. But my focus are not just healthy of corals but cleanliness as well.
IMHO, it doesn't take anymore time to keep a clean setup that you can be proud to show off, then just replacing equipment and letting the cord management go. I find pleasure in looking at my reef when it is organized. I like your setup.

frags2fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stopped at a friend's house to help him connect a UV sterilizer and was horrified as to the amount of cords literally thrown down on floor and connected to power strips also on the floor. I demanded he get those power strips hung up on the stand which I helped him do which also created drip loops. I recently installed a cabinet below for organization and wire management with housing for all my power bricks.
There are many ways to economically organize and conceal cords. I highly recommend automotive wire harness cable from automotive store which are under $20 for 20 feet and neatly conceals the wires

Harness:

1692883910778.png

Sorry for big picture but wanted to assure you see what it looks like. There are wire channels you can use as well as Zip ties. As you know saltwater and electricity do not play nicely together and often result in fire or charred plugs. We see many persons on here planning new tanks, upgrades and adding new components. Often we don't see or hear anything about wire management or considerations for electrical consumption with plugs.

What method of wire management do you consider or use?
Have you had an issue with trying to find a certain cord which became a project because it was a nightmare to locate?

1692884312387.png
1692884333059.png
1692884365822.png

My Cabinet:

1692884458261.png
Really great idea with the harness. Thank you! I would have never thought of that but will be checking it out this weekend to hopefully rid myself of the wire spaghetti plague I currently have going on.

Love your electric/plug setup btw! Maybe some day…

Thanks again!

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a hot mess. I organize it when I moved the tank a few months back then needed to pull something and went back to chaos.

I did get a panel and saw to build something nice inside the stand. Need to get some Velcro too.

IMG_1342.jpeg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe that is chaotically organized. I could live with that lol. Too embarrassed to show my situation
Once upon a time we were all there

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got back from a friends' house who is a dedicated reefer. This is his wall:

1693167311409.jpeg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The cords for my display tank resemble a rats nest more than anything else, but at least everything is off of the floor and there are drip loops on all cables.

The cords for my frag tank are the complete opposite, no cords are visible at all. With one exception, being the cord for the heater.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just hanging lights on my house for Christmas using these command strip hooks for outdoors and thought "Reefing Hack!" Clip to the cord then stick them where it looks bestish. Peel right off with no damage. Even stuck them to the back glass of my AIO.

Screenshot_20231126_100922_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back