Cord management - are yours organized or spaghetti ?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "spaghetti"? I think you'll find my cord organization looks more like ramen :grimacing-face:

1692898580632.png

Why yes, all my controllers and power supplies are in a big pile inside of a plastic bin at the base of the stand. At least if there's a flood they won't get wet.

1692898680009.png

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "spaghetti"? I think you'll find my cord organization looks more like ramen :grimacing-face:

1692898580632.png

Why yes, all my controllers and power supplies are in a big pile inside of a plastic bin at the base of the stand. At least if there's a flood they won't get wet.

1692898680009.png
the latter is also my style. Take the whole bundle and shove it in a box or somewhere elevated then it wont get wet
Think About It GIF by Identity

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my tank I had everything all tied neat and tidy. Then I had to do something in there and ended-up having to undo a bunch of it. It never went back together the same way.

It's all safe (drip loops, etc), but it doesn't look anything like it used to. It's a bit of an organized mess at this point.

New build, new stand, new tank... This one I'm planning it out a bit better. I'm setting everything up knowing that I will have to get to it and/or pull it out at some point. So there will at least be some method to the madness.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

apparently there are reusable zipties too. Maybe I should do this instead of cutting everything out when servicing

I'm probably going to order some of these now, haha

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maannnn...I've tried my best to organize and have it look amazing, but best I can do is make it look decent. It was looking really good till 2 weeks ago, lighting struck, took out power in our neighborhood, I wasn't home, but wife was, battery back up kicked in and worked fine, but wife got paranoid and started unplugging stuff to make sure it was all on generator....now it's a mess again...

Geez!!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with spaghetti wiring as long as any plugs or power strips are elevated so they cant get wet. I came home from work one day to my reef tank with no power and my GFCI tripped. I reset the GFCI and pretty much had a 4th of July fireworks show go off behind my sump. Turns out the small extension cord plug i had for my MP40 had fallen on the ground and I didn't notice. That day protein skimmer went crazy and saltwater started running out of the collection cup down the back of my sump onto the floor where the plug was. I was really lucky I didn't have a massive fire.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made plenty of mistake on previous setup. Spend little time just to makesure everything is label, zipped, and covered correctly.
20230812_203855~2.jpg
I'd be curious to see a photo of this same angle 4+ years from now when the tank has large colonies of corals and you've had to replace broken equipment that is labeled and zipped.

I think we all start off this way (some better than others,@Short Reefer, yours is amazing btw), but as our focus moves to biology of a healthy tank, that beautiful set up takes a back seat and we realize having equipment set up as a show piece isn't necessarily practical when you have a late night emergency and the tanks health is on the line.

Not to say that some people won't keep up with maintaining a show piece. For the majority, they quickly realize that it doesn't make the tank health any better and that time can be better spent on something else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back