core7 'equal parts dosing' user poll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

core7 users - do you dose all parts in equal amounts?

• Total voters

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During fluconazole treatment my alk demand drops considerably so I reduce all parts equally to maintain 8 dkh. When doing this it caused CA to push 600 over the course of a month or 2 between ICP tests. While flucon hasn't killed any coral it definitely disrupts my system (growth) and kills about 80% of my fuge macro algae every time.

Outside of the abnormal case of elevated CA during flucon treatment I dose Iodine, Manganese and Strontium which are pretty consistently very low absent dosing. I also dose a little Boron and Potassium here and there but those generally stay in line with only occasional adjustments needed.

That makes sense. I’m surprised that Fluconazole didn’t kill any corals. That’s great!

So isn’t Triton now recommending to maintain Alkalinity at 7 dKH? Do you just prefer to be at 8?

I just burnt tips running about 9 dKH. Can’t say for sure it was from the higher dKH, but I’ve definitely come to in the 7’s now. I honestly think it was my intense lighting. I did notice when I switched back to Triton that the water got crystal clear. So it may have been a combination of lighting, the switch, and dKH of 9. I’ll probably never known.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I’m surprised that Fluconazole didn’t kill any corals. That’s great!

So isn’t Triton now recommending to maintain Alkalinity at 7 dKH? Do you just prefer to be at 8?

I just burnt tips running about 9 dKH. Can’t say for sure it was from the higher dKH, but I’ve definitely come to in the 7’s now. I honestly think it was my intense lighting. I did notice when I switched back to Triton that the water got crystal clear. So it may have been a combination of lighting, the switch, and dKH of 9. I’ll probably never known.

By my understanding Triton recommends running 7-8 dkh which is ultimately determined by the level that holds that rest of the parameters best in line. They aren't very clear on this and depending on where you look they recommend either 7 or 8 dkh vs. a range as I mentioned but this is my interpretation of their response when asking directly on the different alk recommendations. My tank tracks better overall at 8 vs. 7 which is why I'm running 8. If I were to run at 7 I'd have to supplement more as other elements would get low.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By my understanding Triton recommends running 7-8 dkh which is ultimately determined by the level that holds that rest of the parameters best in line. They aren't very clear on this and depending on where you look they recommend either 7 or 8 dkh vs. a range as I mentioned but this is my interpretation of their response when asking directly on the different alk recommendations. My tank tracks better overall at 8 vs. 7 which is why I'm running 8. If I were to run at 7 I'd have to supplement more as other elements would get low.

I saw 7 in the instructions online. That’s why I asked, because the last time they recommended to stay at 8 and I prefer 8 myself.

I wonder why they changed it to 7 dKH?

Alkalinity
When setting up your system your goal is to create stable water chemistry that approximates Natural Seawater and stays that way! Every
reef tank is a unique combination of seawater, substrate and biology. The target alkalinity is around 8dKH, which you control by dosing
with the Base Elements solutions. The balanced nature of these solutions ensures all of your other parameters remain as they should. Should your alkalinity drop, gradually increase the dosage of all of the Base Elements equally until the required level returns, if it goes up then reduce the dose.
Don’t obsess about achieving a constant reading of 8dKH, stability is the goal, if your tank maintains a stable dKH of 7.3 then that is just as good as 8.
Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw 7 in the instructions online. That’s why I asked, because the last time they recommended to stay at 8 and I prefer 8 myself.

I wonder why they changed it to 7 dKH?

Alkalinity
When setting up your system your goal is to create stable water chemistry that approximates Natural Seawater and stays that way! Every
reef tank is a unique combination of seawater, substrate and biology. The target alkalinity is around 8dKH, which you control by dosing
with the Base Elements solutions. The balanced nature of these solutions ensures all of your other parameters remain as they should. Should your alkalinity drop, gradually increase the dosage of all of the Base Elements equally until the required level returns, if it goes up then reduce the dose.
Don’t obsess about achieving a constant reading of 8dKH, stability is the goal, if your tank maintains a stable dKH of 7.3 then that is just as good as 8.
Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7.

They still have current literature and instructions that say target 8 so I don't think it has really changed. And in fact, if you read the directions on the cartons themselves or in the user manual for Core 7 it says target 8 dkh.

Capture.PNG

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still have current literature and instructions that say target 8 so I don't think it has really changed. And in fact, if you read the directions on the cartons themselves or in the user manual for Core 7 it says target 8 dkh.

Capture.PNG

Can anybody confirm this. Is it 8 or 7? I sure would like to run at 8, but if they’re recommending 7 then I’ll run at 7.

The last time I ran Triton it was 8. This time around was the first time I’ve seen 7 dKH.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, but then you have what I posted above. They recommend 7 dKH. They didn’t say 8 or 9. So is that a typo.

https://www.triton-reagents.de/index.php?id=390&L=0

Preparation instructions: Fill dosing containers with CORE7 Refill 1 + 2 directly, no need to dilute.

For 3A add ~960ml RO/DI to make 1L solution.

For 3B add ~960ml RO/DI to make 1L solution.

Store at room temperature.

Dosage instructions: Add CORE7 daily to an area of high flow to maintain an alkalinity of 7dKH. Start with a dose of 2ml / 100L of each solution. Monitor your alkalinity - if below 7dKH increase dose units the target level is achieved. If above 7dKH reduce dose.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: It even says new media. So this is not old. That’s why I’m confused, because I do see that that they have a lot of conflicting information on their website.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately I think they just don't really care about being all that clear. Triton Tim's have directly commented in threads where we have posted pictures of the discrepancies but they don't seem to care to adjust their materials to have things match or describe the target as a range like they do in threads here. Instead of acknowledging the inconsistencies they just say 7 or 8 is fine and the ultimate choice is tank specific (which is a great answer but would be nice to see printed in the materials consistently). Also note that even in the excerpt I posted (which is a few years old now) after the sentence saying to target 8 dkh they say 7 is best... Pretty annoying for people new to Triton I'm sure.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately I think they just don't really care about being all that clear. Triton Tim's have directly commented in threads where we have posted pictures of the discrepancies but they don't seem to care to adjust their materials to have things match or describe the target as a range like they do in threads here. Instead of acknowledging the inconsistencies they just say 7 or 8 is fine and the ultimate choice is tank specific (which is a great answer but would be nice to see printed in the materials consistently). Also note that even in the excerpt I posted (which is a few years old now) after the sentence saying to target 8 dkh they say 7 is best... Pretty annoying for people new to Triton I'm sure.

Yeah definitely annoying and honestly I wouldn’t be this anal about knowing a specific number, but I burnt the heck out of my Acro’s when I switched to Triton. So bad that some started to STN from the top down. I can’t say it was Triton though. My dKH was only 8.9 at its highest and PAR was only 250 at top of rocks. I’ve been slowly driving down the dKH and have reduced my lighting by about 40%. I’ve stopped the burning, but I’m still not sure what caused it. My nutrients weren’t all that low either. PO4 was 0.1+ and NO3 was 10+.

That’s why I’ve really been digging for the correct number. I think I’m gonna run at 7 to be on the safer side since it seems that higher dKH is more prone to burn tips.

Thanks for helping me. Appreciate all your replies.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefahholic, again? ;Cat

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/core7-dkh-user-poll.443050/

you're butting up against all the exact same brain numbing triton issues as we did. use the search function more lol. from what we gleaned, triton recommends 8 dkh to provide reefers room for error. but c.b. tim;Cat said the corals are better at 7dkh.

so ya wonder why it's called core7 and not core8? i'd guess that if you can dial in 7, you're prolly on the right track. my brother shoots for 7.3 - 7.5, since we're not so accurate. at one point we fell to 6.6, i sh*te my pants but the acros looked great. they looked yuck and dying when we were 8.6 and above. we prolly have similar systems.

michelle ;Cat

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefahholic, again? ;Cat

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/core7-dkh-user-poll.443050/

you're butting up against all the exact same brain numbing triton issues as we did. use the search function more lol. from what we gleaned, triton recommends 8 dkh to provide reefers room for error. but c.b. tim;Cat said the corals are better at 7dkh.

so ya wonder why it's called core7 and not core8? i'd guess that if you can dial in 7, you're prolly on the right track. my brother shoots for 7.3 - 7.5, since we're not so accurate. at one point we fell to 6.6, i sh*te my pants but the acros looked great. they looked yuck and dying when we were 8.6 and above. we prolly have similar systems.

michelle ;Cat

I’m at 7.8 now and slowly diving to 7. I’m not sure why the tips were so aggressively burnt, but trying to make sure that doesn’t happen again. :) Thx for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back