Not open for further replies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
corona.jpg

Hello everyone, when the staff reached the decision almost 2 weeks ago to keep R2R free of discussions of COVID-19, we couldn't foresee the situation we would be in as a nation/world today. We stand by the idea that we want to avoid seeing the same kind of divisive politically-oriented arguments that break out on Facebook and other social media, but we also realize that this situation is now affecting every single person in some way (and for many of us, it is shaping our current situation in really dramatic ways).

We realize that many people have been grateful for the opportunity to use R2R as a place of escape from the pandemic situation and have appreciated that this has remained a forum free of these discussions and focused only on the reef hobby. However, we also know that some of you have wanted to discuss the situation and its impact on life and the hobby. Because of this, we have reevaluated our rule and have determined that for the sake of our members we want to provide space for discussing this situation and its impact on your lives and, more particularly, your ability to enjoy your reef hobby.

In order to accommodate both groups of people (those members who want to discuss the situation with COVID-19 and those who do not), we have decided to create a separate forum especially for these discussions. In order to see this forum, you will need to opt in to a user group which will allow you access to the pandemic forum. This compromise will allow you to avoid or interact at your discretion.

To do this, simply:
  1. Go to your account settings and select "Join User Groups."
  2. Find the group called "(Coronavirus and Reef Discussion Group)"
  3. Click "Join User Group"
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A BUILD THREAD CONTRIBUTOR BADGE, IT WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU JOIN THIS OR ANY NEW USER GROUP (DUE TO A CURRENT SOFTWARE GLITCH). IN ORDER TO GET IT BACK, YOU WILL SIMPLY NEED TO ADD YOUR TANK LINK AGAIN IN YOUR PROFILE SETTINGS (Super easy to do! CLICK HERE).

This will give you access to this forum where you will be able to see these discussions in addition to the threads you already see.

If you DO NOT want to see these discussions, you don't need to do anything as they are not visible to anyone who doesn't join this user group.

A few guidelines for the coronavirus discussions.
  1. All discussions in this new forum will still need to conform to our site terms of service.
  2. No political rants, and the "Be Nice" rule will be enforced, so please help us by treating all members respectfully.
  3. We are not a source of information for how to treat the coronavirus, so no sharing of information for self-treatment is allowed. Please consult a medical professional for all guidance on seeking treatment.
  4. Threads not conforming to these guidelines will be removed.
  5. We are going to have a low tolerance for those breaking the rules which will result in us removing the ability for certain users to see or use the new forum.
  6. ANY and ALL coronavirus threads created will be moved to this new forum.
  7. We hope this forum will give a helpful space for those struggling with the current situation.
In light of all that is happening in our world today we are praying for the health of you and your family.

Once you have joined the user group, here is a link to the new discussion forum: Coronavirus and Reefing

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for understanding our position in this matter.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you banned discussion regarding COVID-19. I guest that explains why my thread "Friday night and not thinking about COVID-19" was pulled last week.:)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A BUILD THREAD CONTRIBUTOR BADGE, IT WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU JOIN THIS OR ANY NEW USER GROUP (DUE TO A CURRENT SOFTWARE GLITCH).

I’ve already lost enough to this virus, I’m not going to loose my build badge too.

(Hope it doesn’t get taken the wrong way, just trying to keep things light.)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't realize you banned discussion regarding COVID-19. I guest that explains why my thread "Friday night and not thinking about COVID-19" was pulled last week.:)
Hey Bob, we can add that back to the new forum if you'd like. :) Sorry about the confusion.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a link to the new forum in the OP. After you join the user group, you can find it HERE.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess politics is a no-no?

I can discuss politics and not care what other ppl think. It doesn’t effect my judgment of a person.
(Hahahah I crack myself up)

Last edited by a moderator:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is much needed.
But I’m still not sure why this is an opt in because this is no joke.
We don’t have PPE to properly protect ourselves in the hospitals and people are taking hydroxychloroquine at home, killing themselves thinking they will prevent or cure the virus.
I think when a fish med is being misused and could cause harm, this awesome reef forum has an obligation to help educate all its members.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get one clarification?

For posts like "I can't get this medicine in time due to closures/shipping delays" or otherwise asking for reefing advice based on the current circumstances and the unusual lack of access to normal resources. Will these threads be left in the main forums or also bumped to the special area?

I feel like there are a lot of people who could use the advice regarding how to handle their reef from the larger community, that aren't wanting to discuss the virus, but need help due to the effects on our community.

I'm sure many of the experts on this forum don't want to discuss the virus, but would be willing to provide advice for alternate treatments or workarounds that are affecting our reefs.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for not making us look at that.

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

My Mother lost 2 siblings as children to disease, she lost another in the war. My father lost his mother when he was 11.

Now people act like you will live forever if you don't do certain things. I assure you this isn't true.

Being wary is smart. Being scared is pointless. Playing politics is exactly what they want. Don't be a tool of useless people that couldn't earn a living if you didn't vote for them.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok we’re going to close this since y’all know where the forum is if you want to utilize it. We can’t make everyone happy. We try but we can’t.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reminder Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back