Corrosion on both my MP40 Quiet Drive wet sides around shaft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering is that amount of rust or the iron that it may leach into the system because of it even anything to even worry about?

I started hunting for rust/etc because of high tin on my last triton report. My steel stand also has some rust on it, but it doesn't appear to be flaking. In the tank, the only thing I could find were these pumps. I will also be repainting my stand though just in case :)

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were actually really great to work with via email. Quick reply, and they offered to replace the wet sides for me . Since I've already bought replacements, they're sending me some diffusers for my radions instead. Very cool of them to offer that, I didn't expect it at all. A+ service.
It's always nice to have some spare wet sides................
Great to hear they were easy to work with. Did they acknowledge that this is an issue?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very common issue with vortechs, just google it and there will be dozens of threads on the various forums, I cannot find anywhere that eco tech admit a problem, but here in the UK they will replace FOC as soon as you contact them, even though I think we have different consumer laws to you, where under EU law a product is expected to work for 6 years... What really surprises me is that a company of this size don’t appear to have solved the problem yet, rusty magnets seem to be occurring less, but rusting shafts still seems to be common..

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the response I just received after I emailed regarding my 2015 mp40wqd with the rust on the tip.

ME:
"Do you sell the propeller shaft separately? The cage and everything is perfectly fine, it's just the rust on that propeller piece that worries me. If you can assure that the rust area will not impact my system then I will ignore the issue but if not, I would like to just get that piece replaced."

Ecotech:
"We do not sell the wetframes separately. We also have done many tests that show no impact to a marine tank with the "rust" on the tip. So you will be fine to run it as is!

have a great day,"

Hmmmmm?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the response I just received after I emailed regarding my 2015 mp40wqd with the rust on the tip.

ME:
"Do you sell the propeller shaft separately? The cage and everything is perfectly fine, it's just the rust on that propeller piece that worries me. If you can assure that the rust area will not impact my system then I will ignore the issue but if not, I would like to just get that piece replaced."

Ecotech:
"We do not sell the wetframes separately. We also have done many tests that show no impact to a marine tank with the "rust" on the tip. So you will be fine to run it as is!

have a great day,"

Hmmmmm?

Maybe you should ask for those test results?

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this happen to me about a month ago. Had a mp10 wetside kept falling off. This wet side was only 6-8 months old btw. So I went to clean it and noticed what looked to be rust coming out of the back of the wet side. I wasn’t going to put rust back into my tank so i destroyed the wet side and there it was the back magnet complete rusted and falling apart. I took pics and emailed eco tech and they said we will send you one right away. After a few days I didn’t hear back. Email again and now they want the wetside. Well guess what I tossed it in the trash and couldn’t send it to them. Now they won’t replace the wet side even though I sent 4 pictures of it. I don’t know what they think they are accomplishing by inspecting a rusted out broken mp10. Bottom line I won’t buy another mp pump or a return pump from that company again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back