Corrosion on both my MP40 Quiet Drive wet sides around shaft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have four MP40s, two "old style" and two Quiet Drive. Both my quiet drive pumps have corrosion around their impeller shaft. I have high tin levels in my tank, as found by my recent Triton test.

Is this normal? Can we replace this part? Why isn't this made out of something safe for use in saltwater? I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty on these :(

MVIMG_20180819_140205.jpg

MVIMG_20180819_140218.jpg

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can buy wet sides from most Ecotech vendors. Not sure about the rusting, but I've seen a few posts/threads with the issue. Just another thing to regularly clean and keep an eye on.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I found the $75 wet side replacements in their parts store. It's too bad we can't just replace the shaft, but there must be a manufacturing reason to build it all as one. Maybe they'll upgrade the shafts in future versions.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original mp40 was able to be disassembled and each part was replaceable. But those came with there own issues.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I have some original Mp40s and they do have their quirks as well. I like being able to replace bits and pieces though.

Do you think these are safe to use for a few days or a week while waiting on replacements to arrive? Fish, acros, lps...

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my acros haven't been showing any signs of trouble, I put these back in service. I also ordered replacements. Wonder if there is anything we can do to prevent the corrosion on these - they're expensive to replace!

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be how bad is it rusting that you can't see.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This raises a question ? Is there a reef safe lubricant (rust preventative) I have used pluming silicone for O-rings ...Maybe clean the rust and cote with that to create a barrier? most likely temporary

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @BRS has something in stock. I purchased some at lowes and it was a very thick liquid and would prefer a paste or grease....Now I was in a jam putting together a new skimmer, the o-ring was so tight I couldn't get the collection cup on the neck and needed a little grease, looking around the house I found a tube of Neo-Sporin ...If its safe for open wounds :cool: although it is a anti bacterial med. maybe the Doc could shed some lite.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Ecotech support directly (not through R2R)? I'd like to know how they are handling this issue. I bought 2 MP40QD's a year ago and haven't installed them yet (tank just arrived last week). I've seen this issue posted a couple times. I've been running the old, pre-quiet drive wet sides with the new QD driver on my 75G and haven't had any issues

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add a Polyfilter or Seachem Cupisorb or other metal removing media to help out remove the metals released by rust.

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering is that amount of rust or the iron that it may leach into the system because of it even anything to even worry about?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried them directly, I thought they might have support in this forum. I'll reach out and let you all know what they say.
Yeah, I've tried to get them here on another issue and no luck, but their on line support is ok.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were actually really great to work with via email. Quick reply, and they offered to replace the wet sides for me . Since I've already bought replacements, they're sending me some diffusers for my radions instead. Very cool of them to offer that, I didn't expect it at all. A+ service.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back