Could someone check my math?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am designing a new water mixing station. This is for a fish only set up that will run at 26 ppt (1.020 SG). I want to design it that I can throw one 50 gallon bag in and have hit mis up to that salinity. What water volume is needed? I figured it to be 61.5 gallons with a 50 gallon salt bag to make 26-27 ppt saltwater. Can anyone double check that for me?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an example, I use Instant Ocean and they claim their salt mixed to the specified gallons will result in 1.022 SG (29.2 ppt).

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every salt mixes differently. Even the same brand can vary from bucket to bucket. You’ll need to mix and adjust. Even when I make small batches, it’s hit or miss and I need to adjust.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ScottR pointed out, you still might have to do some fine adjustment. So what you'll need is roughly 12% more water.....on a 50 gallon bag, 56 gallons of water to go from 29.2 to 26 ppm. (Check my math! :D)

One note of caution, don't literally dump the salt into the water. This will cause for environments of high alk/calc while it starts to mix which could cause for precipitation. You want to add the salt to very rapidly mixing water, like you're salting popcorn.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ScottR pointed out, you still might have to do some fine adjustment. So what you'll need is roughly 12% more water.....on a 50 gallon bag, 56 gallons of water to go from 29.2 to 26 ppm. (Check my math! :D)

One note of caution, don't literally dump the salt into the water. This will cause for environments of high alk/calc while it starts to mix which could cause for precipitation. You want to add the salt to very rapidly mixing water, like you're salting popcorn.

Thanks again @ScottR and @redfishbluefish for the help! Think I will go with a couple 120 gallon containers. My goal is 100 gallon change every 2 weeks (or maybe monthly). Will take account any fine adjustments needed but being fish only and only doing 100 gallons just the ballpark of 26 ppt would be fine. Total water volume is hovering around 800 gallons.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back