Could this be aptasia?

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is a 13 gallon 2.5 year old tank… only pest I have that I know of are bristle worms however I just noticed this attached to the plug of a bird nest coral. Would this be aptasia? And if so how do you recommend I take care of it, the coral isent doing so well so maybe take the whole frag and plug out all together.? Also anyone know what the white tubes underneath the red cap monti are aswell?

58F3EC87-E15B-45FD-AEAD-E9734710F8F5.jpeg 7DCFEF57-2D08-419C-80CF-AF56B4625758.jpeg 7D2898AB-D724-45E5-A0CA-C436B16335A4.jpeg FD0F4AB3-592C-4005-8D86-616C4D7B512B.jpeg

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell isent the best but no one else had any input… I guess I’ll sit tight and if it either grows or multiplies I’ll post again with pictures again . Thanks pistondog!
I agree it is hard to tell from the picture, but that second picture does looks like aiptasia to me. And I can't see the tubes under the monti, but look up vermetid snails to see if that is what you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe it is. You should be able to see a center core/mouth to confirm. If so, Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is. You should be able to see a center core/mouth to confirm. If so, Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
I used every method available for over a year to control them but they just multiply and spread. Ever since my skimmer started releasing lots of micro-bubbles into my tank for several months the aiptasia are not multiplying and actually reducing in numbers. I haven't used my paste for several months and has dried up. My skimmer only runs when lights are out so will not fix it. I think the micro-bubbles are toxic to aiptasia.

I still have a few but never see them grow, my File Fish helps but could not keep up with them spreading. I am serious, try it with an air pump and a wooden air diffuser for the finest bubbles and just when lights are out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used every method available for over a year to control them but they just multiply and spread. Ever since my skimmer started releasing lots of micro-bubbles into my tank for several months the aiptasia are not multiplying and actually reducing in numbers. I haven't used my paste for several months and has dried up. My skimmer only runs when lights are out so will not fix it. I think the micro-bubbles are toxic to aiptasia.

I still have a few but never see them grow, my File Fish helps but could not keep up with them spreading. I am serious, try it with an air pump and a wooden air diffuser for the finest bubbles and just when lights are out.
I have not had aptasia for quite some time other than discovery of some in overflow in a different tank and the paste once again took them out for me. The paste must be thick like toothpaste and the entire head must be smothered. It does raise alk Very slightly but works like a champ for me

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had aptasia for quite some time other than discovery of some in overflow in a different tank and the paste once again took them out for me. The paste must be thick like toothpaste and the entire head must be smothered. It does raise alk Very slightly but works like a champ for me
Maybe you have the right touch. I think if done wrong you can spread them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maybe you have the right touch. I think if done wrong you can spread them.
If done wrong- They will be back. Its like a roach, spray will knock them down but if you dont rid of the insect and its egg capsule, 100 more are on the way

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input, I think I’m going to take the plug and frag out all together, I don’t wanna risk it. I would hate to have them all other the place, it’s too small to see a mouth or anything.

Back