Couldn't acclimate Mandarin

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a really nice Mandarin from a local shop today. Super chubby and healthy looking with some good size. Only problem was the bag leaked all over my car and when I got home there was barley any water in it so I kinda just threw him in the tank. He looks ok and is already eating but probably shocked the crap out of him considering the shop usually keeps there fish tanks at 1.023 and my tank is at 1.026 plus the temp difference of going from the bag to the tank... Anyway anybody else ever have this happen and then have the fish live ?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went right from 1.018 to 1.025 and is still with me. Although he is starving himself from Velvet unfortunately. It took him a few hours to get around but he should pull through for you. For the reference, he jumped out of the transfer to a dish.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have mine at 1.024 and most of the shops have about 1.026. Honestly salinity has always been the last thing on my mind when putting a fish into quarantine, I'm usually worried about ich and other nasties. Temperature is a big thing when you acclimate your fish. In a tidal situation fish move between high and low salinity when they go up into estuaries so I don't think it would kill you Mandarin. Good luck with the Mandy.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back