couple questions wrasse related

easternreefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2017
Messages
545
Reaction score
536
Location
Kodak, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a new canary wrasse.. haven't seen him since the first night. 2 days ago. he was out for 2-3 hours pecking at the rock and eating some flatworms. lights went off and into the sand he went. How long should I wait before I get worried that he hasn't come out of the sand?

second question.. standard 90g 20gl sump. current inhabitants are two ocellaris, lawnmower blenny and the canary wrasse. I would like to get a leopard wrasse or two in about 6 months. tanks will be about a year old at that point. are there any concerns with this?
 
Burying for a few days is perfectly normal. Don't go digging around for him though. He will have to get used to the lighting schedule and work up some more courage, but he should get used to everything soon enough.

Leopard wrasses should be fine in there.
 
sooo my wrasse came out to play today... :) and I figured out that he/she is not a canary wrasse but rather a 4 spot or yellow and purple wrasse. as they are very similar in coloration are they similar in personality? am I going to have any issues with corals .softy/zoa tank..
 
sooo my wrasse came out to play today... :) and I figured out that he/she is not a canary wrasse but rather a 4 spot or yellow and purple wrasse. as they are very similar in coloration are they similar in personality? am I going to have any issues with corals .softy/zoa tank..
They are sister species. Care and temperament are identical.
 
so.. in the last couple of weeks.. the 4 spot wrasse has developed a orange coloration across the topof his head . appears to be bi=lateral and identical by look on both sides.. fish is healthy and eating. just wondering if it is a normal morph as it ages.. or have I got something weird going on. I will try and get a pic but my phone is horrible.
 
That's normal. The pattern on the head is part of the male pattern. It is transitioning.
 
awesome! I'm doing something right it seems. as I've never had a wrasse before it I had no idea what was going on. next question.. how long till it fully transitions? and then could I get a small female and would that stay female or would it transition as well and then all you know what breaks out.
 
awesome! I'm doing something right it seems. as I've never had a wrasse before it I had no idea what was going on. next question.. how long till it fully transitions? and then could I get a small female and would that stay female or would it transition as well and then all you know what breaks out.
Once the process starts it doesn't take very long to complete.

Don't add a female. They often transition too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new