Couple questions

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a few questions. My first is about water temp for my dry rock. I’ve been watching videos about it and they say to keep it in heated water but never really say how hot. My second question is how do I raise my ph. Over the past 3 weeks I have tested my ph and it has been at a constant 7.9 and I’m trying to shoot for 8.2. I have done a water change to see if that would help raise it but it didn’t seem to do it. Any ideas on ways to do it?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trevor, your pH is fine and I wouldn’t do anything about that because things can go wrong when you start messing around with pH, it’s just a number and within the levels of being fine. You also have potential test error as well depending on the margins of error and accuracy of the kit.

On the rock what are you trying to do to it, normal tank temperature is around 25-26c

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trevor, your pH is fine and I wouldn’t do anything about that because things can go wrong when you start messing around with pH, it’s just a number and within the levels of being fine. You also have potential test error as well depending on the margins of error and accuracy of the kit.

On the rock what are you trying to do to it, normal tank temperature is around 25-26c
I’m trying to cycle my dry rock right now and it says to keep it in heated water but never really says how hot

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to cycle my dry rock right now and it says to keep it in heated water but never really says how hot
If your cycling the rock as part of cycling the tank then I would say 25-26c is fine.

I was just checking your weren’t trying to clean or sterilise it or something.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.
You will find many advanced reefers will always tell you to stop chasing numbers.
Once you do your tank will flourish.
Your PH is fine and I would leave it alone.
Stable and within the correct parameter is the main thing.
But if you must raise your PH (Bad Idea) then you can add a buffer to your top off tank.
Keep in mind this will alter your Alk and Ca though.
So to raise one will effect the others.

Temp for curing rocks is not a huge issue, but I have done this three times and had the temp set at 77-78 degrees.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 nailed it.

You can run the temp up to 84 on rock alone if you are cycling, room temp is just as good, just takes a little longer, and truthfully in the scheme of things it is a moot point, considering how long a natural cycle will take.

pH is not worth chasing.

EDIT: SPR1968 and K7BMG have you covered.

@K7BMG Hey fellow Ham, N4VM

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
room temp is fine, the bacteria grow faster at warmer temps so if you want aim for tank temp or slightly higher, add a powerhead to keep the water moving, that will help with the ph too.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you.
Why do you want your PH at 8.2?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 nailed it.

You can run the temp up to 84 on rock alone if you are cycling, room temp is just as good, just takes a little longer, and truthfully in the scheme of things it is a moot point, considering how long a natural cycle will take.

pH is not worth chasing.

EDIT: SPR1968 and K7BMG have you covered.

@K7BMG Hey fellow Ham, N4VM

Hey there and 73. Been very busy and off the radio for a long while. I will be back though.

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you.
Why do you want your PH at 8.2?
Most of my friends that have saltwater tanks tell me to get my ph Atleast up into the 8.2-8.4 range for better coral growth

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my friends that have saltwater tanks tell me to get my ph Atleast up into the 8.2-8.4 range for better coral growth

Not knocking the advice, but most tanks will settle in and find a balance.
If the PH is stable and in range like yours then you are golden.
The less you have to do on parameter adjustments with everything the better.
To adjust one will effect another, then you adjust that and now another is effected and then you need to address that. It can become problematic and confusing.

Depending on your corals of choice, Lighting, and proper food will yield your best results.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what dosing method are you using for alk,ca, and mag?

Back