Covered tanks vs open tanks??

Primetime62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all! New here to the page! Just wanted to get some input on preferences and or reasons to keep your tank covered or opened. Currently I have a 20 gal tall that I have covered. I noticed though that the black strip in the middle creates a little shade down the middle but is pretty unnoticeable. My last tank was a 55 gal with a 20 gal sump. The display was covered but the sump was not and I alway had to add water.. Is there an explanation for why a tank should be uncovered for coral? I know most of my fish would jump out too. Thanks!

image.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish that can jump out is pretty much the reason to cover . Most of us don’t cover with glass anymore , we use a netted frame if we have jumpers . Glass gets dirty and can diffuse the light to some degree if not kept clean plus to me the netted frame looks cleaner , especially with a rimless tank

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank came with a full cover with a built in light that I removed for a few reasons.

the main reason was I wanted to upgrade my light and it needed to be raised higher than the hood so it had to go.

second was ease of access. Not really an issue but it was annoying to have to take the lid off all the time to get into.

third was more just a result that ended up being a positive for me. Removing the lid helped keep the temp down in the tank.

4th was aesthetics and a result as well. just looks so much cleaner. Especially if the tank is rimless

the only con for me is that it evaporates faster. But it’s not an issue at all with an ato in place.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my 3 nano tanks uncovered. I cover my tanks for 1-2 months when I get new fishes, once they are settled they rarely jump.

I like it uncovered as a personal preference. I like seeing the rippling current on top, I like the easy access to the tank. All my equipment is HOB so thats all easier without having to accomodate without a lid. I feel it gives the tank better gas exchange. I have metal hallide lighting, so not having a lid works better for temperature control. F

I guess its personal preference, with my system I see only benefits to having no lid

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 6 months or so, my tank has been wrasse free... so I've been able to go without a lid since none of my other fish are jumpers. it has been nice not having a lid on the tank. Ease of access is great. less salt creep, etc..

but I have a new wrasse currently in my QT tank and will be going into the main tank when it's done with QT. I'm guessing that I will have to put the lid back on then.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have jumpers a cover is necessary. As stated above glass covers can get dirty and block some light. Ty hey also retain heat, could be good in winter or bad in summer. They also limit evaporative cooling. Most of us use mesh covers now. This keeps the jumpers in and still allows for evaporative cooling.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all! New here to the page! Just wanted to get some input on preferences and or reasons to keep your tank covered or opened. Currently I have a 20 gal tall that I have covered. I noticed though that the black strip in the middle creates a little shade down the middle but is pretty unnoticeable. My last tank was a 55 gal with a 20 gal sump. The display was covered but the sump was not and I alway had to add water.. Is there an explanation for why a tank should be uncovered for coral? I know most of my fish would jump out too. Thanks!

image.jpg
I assume that is a black flexible piece of plastic? You could remove that, unless it is glued to the glass, and still keep the glass for cover without the shade.

OP
OP
P

Primetime62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish that can jump out is pretty much the reason to cover . Most of us don’t cover with glass anymore , we use a netted frame if we have jumpers . Glass gets dirty and can diffuse the light to some degree if not kept clean plus to me the netted frame looks cleaner , especially with a rimless tank
Nice, ya mine is just a rimmed 20. I have a firefish and diamond goby that would for sure go for one last dive! I might look into the netted covers though and invest in an ATO.

OP
OP
P

Primetime62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that is a black flexible piece of plastic? You could remove that, unless it is glued to the glass, and still keep the glass for cover without the shade.
Yes, just the plastic bending strip. I already have a 20 lid that was for a snake. It is black metal though. Not sure it that is something to use since salt could get to it. Which mesh lids are people using?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just the plastic bending strip. I already have a 20 lid that was for a snake. It is black metal though. Not sure it that is something to use since salt could get to it. Which mesh lids are people using?
I think my mesh lid came from bulk reef supply. It comes as a kit you put together.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the metal will rust and you definitely don’t want rust . The netting and frame to can buy as a kit or buy the netting on amazon and make the frame as a diy project .

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cover the display but not the sump (since the water is a good 3-4 below the lip). Even with the display covered, my very personable midas blenny jumped about a month ago. It could have been when I was working on the overflow or else he had to have gone out the small hole I cut in the mesh for the auto flake feeder. It was a bummer as he was a favorite.

OP
OP
P

Primetime62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cover the display but not the sump (since the water is a good 3-4 below the lip). Even with the display covered, my very personable midas blenny jumped about a month ago. It could have been when I was working on the overflow or else he had to have gone out the small hole I cut in the mesh for the auto flake feeder. It was a bummer as he was a favorite.
Dang, sorry for the loss!!! I lost a yellow tang and a royal gramma years ago too. Found them both behind the tank the next morning

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to have a cover over my tank to reduce jumping. However, glass lids can cause issues with not allowing gas exchange and diluting the light. I suggest a mesh or eggcrate lid instead.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, sorry for the loss!!! I lost a yellow tang and a royal gramma years ago too. Found them both behind the tank the next morning
I am sorry for your losses too. It's always tough to lose any fish but jumping is the worst because it feels like it shouldn't have happened.

Back