Crab found dead

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

i had an "unwanted" crab in my tank (verry little one you can read this post : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/little-white-grey-crab.874754/#post-9622779 ), i found him dead today (not a molt) so i'm a bit afraid there is something wrong in my tank.

I have few snails (nassarius/strombus and some that cames with the rocks like stomellas/chitons), an emerald crab, two hermits crabs, a debelius, an ophiure, 3 thor and one parpermint shrimp. Everybody looks fine (exept the perpermint shrimp who is acting weird since few days, slow/not reactive).

Corals are OK.

I use my own RO water with resin, ATI Absolute Ocean salt.

Water tested yesterday (redsea and PH/KH/Ca tested with Hanna photometer).
Temp. 25
pH 8.3
NH3/NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
PO4 0.01
SG 1.026
KH 7.5
Ca 400
Mg 1400

Tank is running activated carbon 24/7 (redsea). Skimmer (Stock one, tank is a redsea max nano)

i removed some algea on he back glass yesterday (1st time i clean the back panel), so there was a lot of alguea in the water collumn, could be the reason ?
You think something may have killed this crab or that it died because of its environment ?
Sorry if it's dumb, i just want to make sure everything is okay for my pets.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

i had an "unwanted" crab in my tank (verry little one you can read this post : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/little-white-grey-crab.874754/#post-9622779 ), i found him dead today (not a molt) so i'm a bit afraid there is something wrong in my tank.

I have few snails (nassarius/strombus and some that cames with the rocks like stomellas/chitons), an emerald crab, two hermits crabs, a debelius, an ophiure, 3 thor and one parpermint shrimp. Everybody looks fine (exept the perpermint shrimp who is acting weird since few days, slow/not reactive).

Corals are OK.

I use my own RO water with resin, ATI Absolute Ocean salt.

Water tested yesterday (redsea and PH/KH/Ca tested with Hanna photometer).
Temp. 25
pH 8.3
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
PO4 0.01
SG 1.026
KH 7.5
Ca 400
Mg 1400

Tank is running activated carbon 24/7 (redsea). Skimmer (Stock one, tank is a redsea max nano)

You think something may have killed this crab or that it died because of its environment ?
Sorry if it's dumb, i just want to make sure everything is okay for my pets.

Thanks a lot
I wouldn't worry too much, keep an eye for strange behavior between your stock and other inverts. Sometimes crabs just die. I get the random dead turbo snail or emerald crab, I scoopem out and keep going.

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,

Today everything is fine, just the wurdemanni still not doing so great, she struggles to move, bad control of her legs...

EDIT: and she lost her antennas, they are very shorts

Last edited:

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know snails can have problems with higher magnesium, if crabs have problems with it too you might want to try dropping the magnesium by 50-100

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well well well... i was wrong, it wasn't a dead body, it was a molt (the 1st molt i found was way different from this one, just like a skin, this one looked just like a crab). I just saw him eating an hermit crab molt (i double check all my hermits are alive), i tried to capture him but DANNNNG he is strong, so i tried to stab him but i don't think i land a shot. Btw the papermint shrimp is dead, i check magnesium today and 1240 (red sea tests, but i have diffents results every times...)

Could it be the crab ? She had missing antennas and some legs looked broken... Some of my shrimps molted the last 3 days (one debelius, one thor and one hermit crab) without any issue..

Retest my water today, just to be safe :

Temp. 25
pH 8.4
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 0 (how can it be 0 i feed a lot)
PO4 0.01
SG 1.026
KH 7.7
Ca 405
Mg 1240

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back