Crab found on my floor ?!!!

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing a water change and cleaning so I removed the rocks and I left the rocks on my floor. I then went to the bathroom came out and looked on the ground seeing my emerald crab . He must of been on the rock when I removed them. Whoops! It survived thankfully.

62B02196-E86A-4E3B-A439-A84C52EEF098.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was doing a water change and cleaning so I removed the rocks and I left the rocks on my floor. I then went to the bathroom came out and looked on the ground seeing my emerald crab . He must of been on the rock when I removed them. Whoops! It survived thankfully.

62B02196-E86A-4E3B-A439-A84C52EEF098.jpeg
Lucky you found him! Our cats would be all over it

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could be wrong but removing the rock just to clean doesn't sound like a good idea. Besides upsetting everything in the tank there will be some die off when it's out of the water. JMO
You are correct!

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but removing the rock just to clean doesn't sound like a good idea. Besides upsetting everything in the tank there will be some die off when it's out of the water. JMO
What bothered me more than taking them out is setting them on, what appears to be, a carpet. I try not get let saltwater (well, any water) on my carpet, plus I can't help but think you'll end up with carpet fibers in the tank.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bothered me more than taking them out is setting them on, what appears to be, a carpet. I try not get let saltwater (well, any water) on my carpet, plus I can't help but think you'll end up with carpet fibers in the tank.
To be fair, I also have a mat that looks exactly like this material that is excellent at soaking up water.. seems to be the same material. - I don't put rocks on it generally :grinning-face-with-sweat: but it is great for wet equipment

IMG_7807-2.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, I also have a mat that looks exactly like this material that is excellent at soaking up water.. seems to be the same material. - I don't put rocks on it generally :grinning-face-with-sweat: but it is great for wet equipment

IMG_7807-2.jpg
I have one of those on my wish list for my upcoming build. How many stars do you give it?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those on my wish list for my upcoming build. How many stars do you give it?
It was on a rack at petco - it is definitely cheaply made (the "tufts" of fabric pull out very easy, some of the design is off) - but for an unexpected pickup it was awesome. It is lined with some sort of woven plastic underneath, and the fabric itself is definitely absorbent. Good for quick spills filling the ATO or placing equipment or what not.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on a rack at petco - it is definitely cheaply made (the "tufts" of fabric pull out very easy, some of the design is off) - but for an unexpected pickup it was awesome. It is lined with some sort of woven plastic underneath, and the fabric itself is definitely absorbent. Good for quick spills filling the ATO or placing equipment or what not.
Do you leave it out all the time, or just during maintenance? This is the one I was looking at: Aqua Sponge Mat

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you leave it out all the time, or just during maintenance? This is the one I was looking at: Aqua Sponge Mat
That one looks like a much higher quality! I might have to order one of those myself..

I leave it out all the time, it it gets really wet I hang it up to dry then put it back out.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, I also have a mat that looks exactly like this material that is excellent at soaking up water.. seems to be the same material. - I don't put rocks on it generally
On the rare occasion that I have to take a rock (or equipment) out, I usually put it in a bucket.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the rare occasion that I have to take a rock (or equipment) out, I usually put it in a bucket.
Same. I think I've only removed my rocks once to transfer tanks a few months back, other than that it's easier to not disturb them imo

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I think I've only removed my rocks once to transfer tanks a few months back, other than that it's easier to not disturb them imo
I've only ever removed them from a bare bottom quarantine tank when they were *covered* in algae and I wanted to scrub them in my sink. But since the tank is bare bottom, there's nothing mounted to any of the rocks and they're just sitting on the glass, it's no big deal. I haven't had the nerve to move any of the rocks in the DT.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back