Crab's 40G Breeder Mixed Reef Tank

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones my apologies if this was in here as I looked back through, but didn't see it. Just out of curiousity what did you do for a schedule with your t5/MH combo? I'm currently running T5 12pm - 10 and the MH 2pm - 8pm.

Just ordered 4 blue plus to replace the 4 Hamilton 10k bulbs that came with mine. Curious to see what difference that makes. They are great bulbs when the Mh are off. Worried I might be going a little too blue.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones my apologies if this was in here as I looked back through, but didn't see it. Just out of curiousity what did you do for a schedule with your t5/MH combo? I'm currently running T5 12pm - 10 and the MH 2pm - 8pm.

Just ordered 4 blue plus to replace the 4 Hamilton 10k bulbs that came with mine. Curious to see what difference that makes. They are great bulbs when the Mh are off. Worried I might be going a little too blue.
I run mine on a 10 hour schedule, the t5's are on for the full 10 hours starting at 11AM until 9PM the metal halide kicks on at Noon and turns off at 8PM

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman she looked too good tonight to not snap a quick pic ;)
ZeLvN2Zh.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Your bubbles came back! Mine was getting some back along the back side (right in pic), but the rest was still pretty stringy.
FAA2DDD3-8C22-416B-8A6B-122A935CCCE6.jpeg

Not going to lie, I'm really jealous you got your clowns living in yours. My clowns wont give my nem the time of day lol. They're too busy in their Duncan colony

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie, I'm really jealous you got your clowns living in yours. My clowns wont give my nem the time of day lol. They're too busy in their Duncan colony

I imagine it must feel a bit like giving away scratch tickets as gifts and u find out they hit big on one! You're happy and all for them, but deep down in the guilty pleasure corner you're envious!

Hehe

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was a natural match. A. bicinctus Clownfish. Went in in three days. I actually was surprised it took so long.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried to read most of your build thread.. I encourage from your results that I went the right way going with the MH fixture I got for cheap. Its just an old one so it still uses VHOs so I might convert it to either T5 or maybe UV LEDs will get better at some point. Its quite admirable how you have evolved your setup over time and kept it flourishing.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've been monitoring alk and calcium consumption with the lighting changeover to the new system, with two hydra 26's with 4 t5's I jumped up to 108ML a day!
Going to test tonight to confirm, but as of last night my alk stayed stable at 9dkh
Going to have to start mixing up 5 gallon buckets of 2 part pretty soon or break down and get a calcium reactor with the 75 upgrade ;Hilarious

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've been monitoring alk and calcium consumption with the lighting changeover to the new system, with two hydra 26's with 4 t5's I jumped up to 108ML a day!
Going to test tonight to confirm, but as of last night my alk stayed stable at 9dkh
Going to have to start mixing up 5 gallon buckets of 2 part pretty soon or break down and get a calcium reactor with the 75 upgrade ;Hilarious

I've never heard anyone with a medium/large tank, sps dominant, that wasnt using a calc reactor. Go for it in the 75!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back