Cracked aquarium frame

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Long time lurker here, first post. I recently got a used 120G and while cleaning it, noticed that the bottom frame is cracked at the center across one if the lengths (pictures attached)

I contacted the person who sold me and he claims that the crack has been there for a while and he has had no issues.

Can anyone tell if this crack will compromise the structural integrity if the tank? Is there any way I can shore it up. I was thinking of getting a strip of aluminum bar (say 12" long) and epoxying it along the length. That would provide a lot if shear strength and could prevent the crack from opening up further.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,
Arun

IMG_20180520_080226.jpg

IMG_20180520_080223.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
tumblr_o3y4pherIa1s3h43ko1_500.gif
#WelcometoR2R
That looks way to straight to be a crack, possibly something with manufacturing? I'd say water test it first, somewhere where if it does fail you don't care if it gets wet, and see how it does.

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! That was what I first thought but
- The crack is not perfectly straight, and is not perfectly centered. It's about 3/4"-1" offset from the cross beam center
- The top frame does not have any similar manufacturing seam

I'll try and get the pictures JoshH suggested tonight.

-Arun

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached pics as requested. From what I can tell, except for that seam/crack, nothing else looks out of place.

Crabs, forgot to say - thanks for the welcome message! I had hoped my first post would have been to announce I going to start a SW setup, but things are on hold now with this issue.

IMG_20180521_210621.jpg

IMG_20180521_210640.jpg

IMG_20180521_210652.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached pics as requested. From what I can tell, except for that seam/crack, nothing else looks out of place.

Crabs, forgot to say - thanks for the welcome message! I had hoped my first post would have been to announce I going to start a SW setup, but things are on hold now with this issue.

IMG_20180521_210621.jpg

IMG_20180521_210640.jpg

IMG_20180521_210652.jpg
Better safe then sorry ;)

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO, but I would be more concerned if it were the center brace that was broken.

You could epoxy something there for added insurance if you want, but from what I see in the last pic, it appears to be glued and sealed quite well.

I would still fill it in a safe area to check for leaks, though. I always recommend that with any used tank.

Proctor614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good things about JB Weld Plastic Bonder epoxy. Available in a couple colors. Rated around 4000 psi.
Top trims are probably a lot easier to take off than bottoms, but if you know the make of the tank you might be able to talk to your local fish store and see if they'll be able to order you replacement trim. I got a new top trim for my 180 from my local for $56. Perfect fit.

Just need a flexible putty knife, some sealant for the new trim, a little courage, and a lot of careful patience getting the old one off.

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good things about JB Weld Plastic Bonder epoxy. Available in a couple colors. Rated around 4000 psi.
Top trims are probably a lot easier to take off than bottoms, but if you know the make of the tank you might be able to talk to your local fish store and see if they'll be able to order you replacement trim. I got a new top trim for my 180 from my local for $56. Perfect fit.

Just need a flexible putty knife, some sealant for the new trim, a little courage, and a lot of careful patience getting the old one off.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

While I started out pretty budget conscious and love diy, this is one place I don't want to skimp and risk a flooding.

I have decided to go for a new aquarium and have started asking LFS for quotes.

Have also started another thread asking for suggestions on online options. Any suggestions appreciated. Looking for a standard 120G that I can drill/get drilled for a ghost or bean animal overflow

cheers

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better safe than sorry. that said I would fill it out side wait a week or so and see...in the man time I would shop for tanks.
I bet that tank will be just fine but you never know..

check out SC Aquariums I have there 36" cubis 90 gal the build quality in top notch. they have an active FB group and there pricies are pretty good. worth checking out if you do decide to go new.

http://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/101.htm
they also have some pretty good deals of the day/month. also can custom make you any size.
I would go with external overflows tho . have them drilled for you specs shadow etc.

as said there are tons of option out there.
best of lucky and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Just get some brown duct tape ;)" - Hmm... :)

Thanks all. I am reaching out the SCA and other retailers.

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could glue another strip over the entire length. Safe than sorry.
Thanks, that's probably the best option. Glueing a long strip would provide considerable shear strength and prevent the crack from opening up

Cheers

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no reason to be concerned; purely cosmetic. Tank could fail the moment you fill it, but that 'crack' will have had nothing to do with it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back