cracked bottom glass

Conquest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a red sea 170 that i bought for 30 bucks but the bottom glass is broken, whats the cheapest and smartest way to fix this issue? thx in advance
IMG_0183.jpg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a red sea 170 that i bought for 30 bucks but the bottom glass is broken, whats the cheapest and smartest way to fix this issue? thx in advance
IMG_0183.jpg
Well cheap and smart rarely meet each other in the same sentence lol. I’ll give you some options
Remove bottom panel glass and replace it cost is about $40

Use a pice of plexiglass on the top and bottom, sandwich the area of the crack together and seal it using clear silicone price is about $20 but will last only about a 3 to 4 years

Use just silicone on both sides use a generous amount to try and seal it but the problem is there is not guarantee that it will hold!! Price $10

I strongly recommend just replacing the whole panel it’s a much better option!!

OP
OP
C

Conquest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cheap and smart rarely meet each other in the same sentence lol. I’ll give you some options
Remove bottom panel glass and replace it cost is about $40

Use a pice of plexiglass on the top and bottom, sandwich the area of the crack together and seal it using clear silicone price is about $20 but will last only about a 3 to 4 years

Use just silicone on both sides use a generous amount to try and seal it but the problem is there is not guarantee that it will hold!! Price $10

I strongly recommend just replacing the whole panel it’s a much better option!!
still cheaper than a new red sea so ill just replace the whole buttom glass as you say its a much better option, 40 dollars i still a cheap amount since i bought it for 30 dollars so i can defiently live with spending another 40 dollars :) thanks for your help

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When I was a kid and we were broke we used to fix tanks like that with a strip of glass smothered with silicone and pressed in. We'd then silicone around the edges. It was cheap and it worked and allowed us to be in the hobby with multiple tanks.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0183.jpg
Smartest plan is to make it a tank for a Bearded Dragon

Unless you want to do this at 3:42am some morning in the future

flood GIF

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0183.jpg
did you do it or did it come this way? maybe still under warrenty even if you did. Can be returned and replaced if broken on arrival

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back