Cracked my new Red Sea 350 while transporting it

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just upgraded to a Red Sea 350, but while moving it into the trunk we accidentally cracked the corner glass. It looks like it would still hold water and doesn’t look like the crack would be able to spread any more. The crack is on the outside and I don’t see anything on the inside. So I want some advice on how to renforce the crack to make sure it’s water tight. First picture on the outside and second from the inside.

1C480113-7ADA-4A08-8F69-FC844CDE6AFD.jpeg 437114DC-DF8C-403A-AE63-B9601262A1C3.jpeg

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crack isn’t going all the way through the glass its on the surface. Therefore there should still be a solid glass to glass seal on the inside. That’s why I think it really shouldn’t be a huge issue. I was thinking I could silicone the inside and out to be safe but wanted to know what someone whose had the issue before thought.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The crack isn’t going all the way through the glass its on the surface. Therefore there should still be a solid glass to glass seal on the inside.

Maybe right now it doesn't look to be all the way through, but once the weight of the water and the pressure on the corner, IMO, it's just a matter of time before it lets go.
It's been suggested to try and contact Red Sea and see if they have any mercy. That's what I would do.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles :( unfortunately I wouldnt trust it either. Once you get sand, rock, and water weighing down on that, it could potentially be a disaster

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will contact Red Sea but this is user error I don’t think they will offer any support. I don’t think it would chip further but right now I don’t have the money to buy another tank so I’m going to try the repair with silicon and hope for the best. I’m going to try to test it for a few days after the repair

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of aquarium repair in south Florida?

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing the photos correctly it looks as thought the corner is chipped on the exterior with a crack that carries all the way to the inside.
It is not a matter of if it will fail, more like when will it fail. I would think it will fail sooner than later. If you are dead set on using it I would fill it up outside and let it set for a couple weeks. During that time I would make sure your renters insurance or homeowners will cover any damage should the tank give way.
Good luck

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will contact Red Sea but this is user error I don’t think they will offer any support. I don’t think it would chip further but right now I don’t have the money to buy another tank so I’m going to try the repair with silicon and hope for the best. I’m going to try to test it for a few days after the repair
Red sea may suggest a DIY FIX...or you can take it to a tank maker

Watch this vid and red sea willsuggest alternative fix

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crack isn’t going all the way through the glass its on the surface. Therefore there should still be a solid glass to glass seal on the inside. That’s why I think it really shouldn’t be a huge issue. I was thinking I could silicone the inside and out to be safe but wanted to know what someone whose had the issue before thought.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't just being water tight. Glass, and all crytalline structures, focus stress on an existing flaw. This means that all stress is going to be focused around the end of your crack. It is VERY likely that the crack is already more significant than you can detect, and even more likely that it will spread. I'm really sorry to have to tell you, but there is no way that I would be willing to place water and livestock in that tank. :/

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing the photos correctly it looks as thought the corner is chipped on the exterior with a crack that carries all the way to the inside.
It is not a matter of if it will fail, more like when will it fail. I would think it will fail sooner than later. If you are dead set on using it I would fill it up outside and let it set for a couple weeks. During that time I would make sure your renters insurance or homeowners will cover any damage should the tank give way.
Good luck
100% agree it could let go at anytime even if not in weeks. Ticking time bomb

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do... SCOUR the internet for a replacement tank... for example...

Homeboy put up his tank for $300...

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would be possible for someone to replace that whole back panel?

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow if I found a tank for $300 I would definitely replace it but in my area I’m not seeing much

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would wait until you contact Red Sea before making any attempt at repairing. I'm sure they will want detailed pictures and maybe ( if someone has mercy) return to the store.
Even though it was as you said " user error" this could be a customer service karma thing for them.

Just a fyi, new silicone will stick to the old silicone, but it won't permanently seal it.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely possible to replace the glass pane, but you should make sure to have a fish tank building expert do it. A DIY could go terribly wrong.

Silicone won’t prevent the existing pane from exploding once filled. I know you REALLY want it to be possible, I would too. But it just won’t work. If you do decide to test it, fill it up outside, not in your home.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why people might be concerned. But I'm not one of them.

I don't know if contacting Red Sea is going to help. Bottom line is that you damaged it and it isn't their responsibility.

Don't panic. Put it in the garage, fill it with water and monitor for leaks. But be prepared to let it hold water for a while. Mind you, I'm not talking about 2 or 3 days. I'm thinking weeks.

And while doing that, I suppose you can contact Red Sea and find out if they are willing to do anything for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back