Cracked my new Red Sea 350 while transporting it

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way would I put water in that thing in my house. 100ish gallons of water would be a huge mess.

It can be repaired, it's just glass. but it would need an entire new pane of glass.
the tank would have to be broken down, all silicone cleaned, and re-done. cheaper then a new tank? I don't know. maybe.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone i will contact red sea and just see if they will work with me. Also I’ve contacted a local shop that does repairs and I’m thinking to replace the whole back glass. If anyone know of aquarium builders in south Florida please let me know. I will follow up with everyone. It’s a horrible feeling to buy something and break it :/ hopefully I can get this resolved without having to spend to much.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the Red Sea customer service number? I can’t find it online.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Does anyone have the Red Sea customer service number? I can’t find it online.
Red Sea U.S.A
4687 World Houston Parkway # 150
Houston, TX 77032 PO Box 1237
Tel. : +1-888-733-7329
red sea.PNG

Red Sea U.S.A18125 Ammi Trail, Houston, TX 77060
Tel. : +1-888-RED-SEA9
[email protected]

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea U.S.A
4687 World Houston Parkway # 150
Houston, TX 77032 PO Box 1237
Tel. : +1-888-733-7329
red sea.PNG

Red Sea U.S.A18125 Ammi Trail, Houston, TX 77060
Tel. : +1-888-RED-SEA9
[email protected]
Thank you I will call them Monday when they open

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended that I replace the back glass myself but I really don’t feel comfortable doing that. I’m not the most handy person....

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what’s your insurance deductible? I don’t know what the cost of this tank is, so maybe it’s worth considering to file a claim. I bring this up as personal property that you accidentally broke it might be covered. Break out your policy contract and read through it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys so I just upgraded to a Red Sea 350, but while moving it into the trunk we accidentally cracked the corner glass. It looks like it would still hold water and doesn’t look like the crack would be able to spread any more. The crack is on the outside and I don’t see anything on the inside. So I want some advice on how to renforce the crack to make sure it’s water tight. First picture on the outside and second from the inside.

1C480113-7ADA-4A08-8F69-FC844CDE6AFD.jpeg 437114DC-DF8C-403A-AE63-B9601262A1C3.jpeg
Check with redsea

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry about your tank and there is no way that will hold water under pressure. Knowing how expensive tanks are my 240 I found used on Craigslist for 200 dollars with stand, sump, bunch of other crap I threw away, and the tank was only 6 months only and never set up. (Tank was too big for their house (long story). But look around and see what you can find. Even here people sell stuff like crazy.

Since it’s user error not sure Redsea will replace it. Some companies I have gone through have replaced items that I did break on accident. Some I have learned ops, let’s try again.

If you think breaking your tank is a big mistake, a bigger mistake would be filling it with water rock and sand. Then a stupid mistake would be to add fish and corals knowing theybare at risk when that tank fails. (Granted we all kinda have that risk (power goes out, some one urinates in your sump (see my thread lol), smoke, pick an option and it can crash a salt water tank. But this is a very bad idea.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of curiosity what’s your insurance deductible? I don’t know what the cost of this tank is, so maybe it’s worth considering to file a claim. I bring this up as personal property that you accidentally broke it might be covered. Break out your policy contract and read through it.
Is Personal property you accidentally break covered by insurance if you don’t have a rider? For example under our policy that would be considered neglect and not covered

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone recommended that I replace the back glass myself but I really don’t feel comfortable doing that. I’m not the most handy person....
It also voids the Red Sea warranty. So will have if someone else do it. But if someone else does it only let them if they give you a warranty

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else that setting the tank up Is very risky. That was just me frustrated that I broke my tank. Filling up the tank and causing thousands of dollars in damage to my house would be dumb. I don’t think insurance covers this kind of thing but thanks for the input! I’m going to call Red Sea Monday and hopefully they can help me out. Even if I could just get a discount on the new glass it would be great but we’ll see. I wouldnt mind getting it repaired but I’m having a hard time finding someone to do it. If Redsea can’t help me out I might just sell it cheap(maybe someone is more handy then me) and see if someone can make me a similar tank for cheaper then what Red Sea wants to charge me. If anyone know good local tank builders in south Florida please let me know! Thanks to everyone trying to help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot really tell the extent of the damage from the original pictures. It looks to me that it’s crush damage to just the one corner. Is that the bottom panel? Or the back? I’m not entirely sure what RedSea is going to tell you. It’s post sale damage, so I’d doubt they’d be offering a replacement. Don’t imagine they’re likely to offer any repair advice given potential liability.

Nobody here can tell you with much certainty whether the tank will fail or not fail. It’s a risk to use it, certainly. If it were my tank, and depending upon the actual extent of the damage (mostly running cracks), I’d probably try to patch reinforce that corner and then test fill/run it in the garage for a few weeks.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make it a garage tank....seal it as best as possible with as much advice as you can find and then see if it holds water, rock, and sand for a few months then personally I'd add a very limited crew and at least get some use out of the tank knowing it could at some point flood my garage. I know not the best advice and some will harp on me for saying put livestock in knowing it could some day maybe pop but that's my 2 cents if they cant help you replace it and you cant find a reasonable repair.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back