Cracked Red Sea Reefer main overflow pipe...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I seemed to have completely snapped my main overflow pipe when I attempted to use Teflon tape and really tighten the pipe... Is there some sort of trick to make sure this pipe doesn't leak? I had a significant drip during my fill tests, no matter how tight I made the pipe. Decided to use teflon tape, which helped a little bit, but broke when I kept tightening the pipe. This was a used system, so maybe the rubber seal was bad...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you would really want new seals when reassembling a used system. That’s what I did and I had no problem- hand tightened everything with no leaks. I also used a razor to clean off the mating surfaces and a bit of acetone to clean them. Overkill maybe lol.

Basically rubber dries out and no longer “squishes” properly. Instead it gets tiny cracks.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you would really want new seals when reassembling a used system. That’s what I did and I had no problem- hand tightened everything with no leaks. I also used a razor to clean off the mating surfaces and a bit of acetone to clean them. Overkill maybe lol.

Basically rubber dries out and no longer “squishes” properly. Instead it gets tiny cracks.

Good to know, hopefully the replacement part does the trick and I only have to hand tighten it to make a nice seal.

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the story of my life. I've replaced the overflow pipe probably 4 or 5 times because it starts leaking after a month or two. Over tightening is definitely a problem with this very thin tubbing. Wish Red Sea used something stronger. I keep an extra one on had to avoid major delays.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the story of my life. I've replaced the overflow pipe probably 4 or 5 times because it starts leaking after a month or two. Over tightening is definitely a problem with this very thin tubbing. Wish Red Sea used something stronger. I keep an extra one on had to avoid major delays.

That’s weird.... leaking where? In the stand? I’ve never heard of that. Usually leaks DISAPPEAR with salt water plumbing, not appear

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the main lower return pipe is over tighened, it cracks the threads in the main overflow upper pipe. Very easy to do.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to get the system flowing with no overflow drain? I guess you could use the emergency drain and somehow plug the hole for the main drain. Just not sure with what...

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably just assemble as usual knowing that you will have some leaking down into the sump. Just depends how significant the leak is knowing that you will install the new pipe(s) when your parts come. all that is required to replace the main overflow pipe(s) is to empty the overflow box in the top of the tank, remove pipes, reassemble and then add water back and overflow area

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Here's the problem:

I suppose I could attach the threaded adapter and just let it Siphon down into that drain. I don't think it'll work though as the rubber gasket can no longer attach.

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, do you have a whole nother problem than what I've experienced. That resulted from some serious over tightening. I'm not sure how you can make that work without replacing. the cracking that I experience it's usually on the bottom of that pipe when connected with the lower pipe

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, do you have a whole nother problem than what I've experienced. That resulted from some serious over tightening. I'm not sure how you can make that work without replacing. the cracking that I experience it's usually on the bottom of that pipe when connected with the lower pipe
Yeah I think it was initially leaking with small cracks from the previous owner over tightening it... New pipe should be here in 3 days.

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine crack when installing it. Red Sea will ship you a new one. Because these have O-rings in them, you do not need Teflon tape or anything. That was the mistake I had. However, because of the O-rings, they have to be lined up perfectly. Any little angulation, tension, whatever on the pipes and they will leak a tiny bit. This is the only part of this tank I dislike. Especially since I consider the piping undersized on my 750

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back