Crazy ants?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my (elderly) father called me today, basically freaking out about crazy ants. He's got them all outside the house and sometimes sees them in the laundry room. A pest control guy came out, basically told him there's nothing he can do, but that these crazy ants can get in the walls, short out all the electricity, even take out his car, blah blah blah. :eek:

So I'd like some advice from anyone who works in the pest control business or just has experience dealing with these things. A quick Google search indicates you can use Termidor (fipronil) outside only to kill them and that it is also a pet safe chemical. That hopefully would keep the problem at bay until they go dormant for the winter?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ant bait is the best way to do it.
You want them to take the bait all the way into the dens.
I can't remember the name of it right now but it will come to mind.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ants can take out your car? Huh. Never heard of that before.

They smother electronics - I believe. Computers, TVs, appliances, etc. Probably attracted to the heat they output.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there's a protracted war going on under our lawns between crazy ants & fire ants. And the crazy ants are winning! See below:

Edward LeBrun, a researcher at the University of Texas at Austin, and his team published these and other findings February 13 in Science. One of the team’s astute observations that fueled their research into the ants’ chemical arsenal: crazy ants that had been involved in fire ant skirmishes typically engage in a very particular behavior sequence. After a run-in with a fire ant a crazy ant would stand on its hind and middle legs, fully curl up its body to touch its glandular opening at the tip of its abdomen to its mandibles, and then seemingly groom itself vigorously, rubbing a secretion along itself to apparently detoxify the venom. LeBrun’s team decided to dive further into what was happening.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating stuff: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-rise-of-the-crazy-ants/

When fire ants and crazy ants show up in roughly equal numbers and go for the same tasty cricket treat, new work reveals that the crazy ants typically win some 93 percent of the time. Moreover, many crazy ant colonies have been spotted inside fire ant mounds that still are home to some of their previous tenants, raising the alarm among bug experts that crazy ants can apparently snatch active nests from their cousins with ease.

Makes me want to get rid of all my aquariums, get two ant farms and play war!

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there's a protracted war going on under our lawns between crazy ants & fire ants. And the crazy ants are winning! See below:
And ants are a big problem down here. Do these crazy ants bite? I believe repel and kill ants with vinegar, or a cigar l vinegar solution spray with vinegar and dish soap. I watched videos and have seen posts by people who say this stuff works.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ants are a big problem down here. Do these crazy ants bite? I believe repel and kill ants with vinegar, or a cigar l vinegar solution spray with vinegar and dish soap. I watched videos and have seen posts by people who say this stuff works.

No, they don't bite (people anyway). They just go in all different directions. And apparently take out electronics with solder rosin.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they don't bite (people anyway). They just go in all different directions. And apparently take out electronics with solder rosin.
I don't know if vinegar and dish soap will work for those but it might be worth a try. In this video they show that it repels the ants.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Termidor as a knock down spray and you'll be shocked at the billions of ants that will appear including the drones after a couple days. Nothing else works. In fact using any product sold in a big box store only makes it worse as it typically only splits the colony and you end up with even more ants. Termidor is guaranteed to completely eliminate them. I successfully did this on my house. Just try to get the product on as many ants as possible including their travel paths.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back