Crazy apex alerts on vacation, please help

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just send someone over to wiggle the salt probe. Will shoot right back up if air bubbles.

Mine will sometimes do it when the skimmer makes more than normal micro bubbles.

Kudos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this happened to me a few weeks ago. Nothing was wrong. The apex salinity probe can go ape **** some times. But I would recommend a Wyze camera for watching the tank from afar. Only $20. And connects to wifi. It's my visual check that has saved me tons of head aches.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could make a nice freshwater guppy tank out of the system if the probe is reading correctly and your tank is now dead. If the tank isn't dead then you actually have nothing really to worry about except that a lying Apex is telling you to worry about your tank. Don't be that guy. Consider this mental plan of action going forward: Let call it "Plan on guppies". 1. Put the tank out of your mind and enjoy the rest of your vacation. If the probe is really the problem (which is actually the most likely scenario) then when you return home you will only need to buy a replacement probe instead of dealing with the daunting task of picking out awesome fantails. The other option is to worry about what you can't fix now if the Apex isn't lying. If this is the case the plan is still the same. Enjoy your vacation and look forward to buying some awesome guppies to put in your new freshwater set-up when you return. Either way, enjoying your vacation is the only choice you have total power to exercise at the moment. Guppies or nothing, why worry? HTH.

Last edited:

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seeing how many people predicting the salinity prob is giving false reading just show the quality of thisnprob and how num user are with its performance...sad state...

One of the reasons I personally never bothered with the salinity probe. An extra peace of equipment to worry about.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how many people predicting the salinity prob is giving false reading just show the quality of thisnprob and how num user are with its performance...sad state...
After I fought with mine trying to calibrate for 2 weekends I finally mixed up my own salinity water (43) to make it match my tank (35) After that it has actually been reliable. When i change my filter socks the skimmer makes a little more of the micro bubbles. They tend to cling to the salinity probe. Anytime it seems off I just shake the probe and the bubbles come out. Going to flip it upside down and see if that fixes the problem or drill a hole in the side of it. Bubbles don't seem to affect orp or ph probes at all.

I just use mine as a reference. I still use my salinity meter all the time for actual readings.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things.....

While it does look like this is a salinity probe malfunction we don’t know that for sure yet.

Also, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I’ve had the collection cup to my skimmer off for the past few days because I’ve added a lot of epoxy to the tank the previous week, so that can reek havoc on a salinity probe, though the probe is after a bubble trap.

Also, this is the FIRST time that this probe has acted up since it was first calibrated and it’s been very accurate, I double check it almost every weekend with a refractometer.

Yes it picked a heck of a time to act up, the first day after I left for vacation, but it’s provided a lot more pros than this first con.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it picked a heck of a time to act up, the first day after I left for vacation, but it’s provided a lot more pros than this first con.
Murphys Law strikes again :(

With the skimmer top off you may be getting more microbubbles than normal and they are making it through the trap, it doesn't take long for the probe to get overwhelmed. I guess one thing you could try is, if its on an outlet, turn off the skimmer for an hour and see if it perks up.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has been a colossal pain in the butt.

last night I get a notification from apex heartbeat that the apex has now been disconnected. i freak out, but notice that I cant still connect to the webcam showing my sump in the fish room. Everythings completely normal, it appears we just had a storm and the power went out very briefly and everything came back on, except for the link to apex fusion it appears.

I get back home this morning, and everythings fine but now I still cant reconnect to fusion.

I pressed the little reset button with a paper clip and everything rebooted but I still cant connect to fusion OR apex local. Im trying to relink the apex to fusion but I have to get a token from my apex dashboard BUT I CANT ACCESS MY DASHBOARD BECAUSE THE DISCONNECTION MESSAGE IS UP! I know I have internet service because Im typing this post on my laptop which is connected to wifi, while Im watching netflix.

Can anyone shed light on this? I know Im doing something wrong here, I just need to know what.

Thank god I have that webcam showing my sump, i would have lost all my hair on this trip if I didnt have that thing.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this has been a colossal pain in the ***.

last night I get a notification from apex heartbeat that the apex has now been disconnected. i freak out, but notice that I cant still connect to the webcam showing my sump in the fish room. Everythings completely normal, it appears we just had a storm and the power went out very briefly and everything came back on, except for the link to apex fusion it appears.

I get back home this morning, and everythings fine but now I still cant reconnect to fusion.

I pressed the little reset button with a paper clip and everything rebooted but I still cant connect to fusion OR apex local. Im trying to relink the apex to fusion but I have to get a token from my apex dashboard BUT I CANT ACCESS MY DASHBOARD BECAUSE THE DISCONNECTION MESSAGE IS UP! I know I have internet service because Im typing this post on my laptop which is connected to wifi, while Im watching netflix.

Can anyone shed light on this? I know Im doing something wrong here, I just need to know what.

Thank god I have that webcam showing my sump, i would have lost all my hair on this trip if I didnt have that thing.

WIFI can be wonky after power loss. Shut everything down including your modem. Leave it all off for a few minutes. Turn on your modem first and let it fully boot. Then turn on your WIFI router and let it fully boot. Then apex. It should connect to WIFI at that point and you should be able to add it to Fusion. Longer term see if you can run a network cable to the Apex, much more stable and you won't have to worry about WIFI issues.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIFI can be wonky after power loss. Shut everything down including your modem. Leave it all off for a few minutes. Turn on your modem first and let it fully boot. Then turn on your WIFI router and let it fully boot. Then apex. It should connect to WIFI at that point and you should be able to add it to Fusion. Longer term see if you can run a network cable to the Apex, much more stable and you won't have to worry about WIFI issues.

well, the power was restored over 12 hours ago. when i got home, I unplugged the modem and reconnected it (the modem is also the wifi router). I watched everything disconnect nonapex related and become reconnected, except of course the apex. Once I was able to get back online, stream via the internet, the apex still didnt work. I then hit the reboot button on the apex and still no luck

when you say 'add' it to fusion, what do you mean, how would you go about doing that?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back