OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t take more than a small 7ah battery to keep that head unit afloat.

I work on fire alarm systems and I have some nice battery backup cabinets that I’m gonna be removing from a building along with some fresh 55ah batteries. I was planning on using the 55ah batteries to back up my vortechs, I may just throw a 7ah battery in there for the head unit as well if it’ll prevent this issue from reoccurring

Btw, I do not have a static ip setup but I’ll look into those others things but I’ll need to do some reading first bc I’m not familiar with a lot of it

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isnt the problem with a UPS backup the same as a generator (in this case) - in that even if the power goes off for less than a second - the APEX may shut off (unless you buy a more expensive 'on-line' model?

Generators take time to turn on (seconds, or in the case of Chernobyl 90 seconds), and the electrical panel needs to switch over so there's no backfeed.

Battery backups are usually always on. You are drawing power form the battery, while the unit constantly keeps it charged. So if the power is out, outlets going through UPS are uninterrupted (thus UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Generators take time to turn on (seconds, or in the case of Chernobyl 90 seconds), and the electrical panel needs to switch over so there's no backfeed.

Battery backups are usually always on. You are drawing power form the battery, while the unit constantly keeps it charged. So if the power is out, outlets going through UPS are uninterrupted (thus UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply).

There are different kinds of UPS - I was only making the point that you need to buy the type that indeed allows no delay between power start and power outage. Standby units MAY have gaps (though they are much less than a second) - they can be enough for clocks to reset, and other equipment. Just pointing out one should buy an 'on-line' version.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are different kinds of UPS - I was only making the point that you need to buy the type that indeed allows no delay between power start and power outage. Standby units MAY have gaps (though they are much less than a second) - they can be enough for clocks to reset, and other equipment. Just pointing out one should buy an 'on-line' version.

Ohh my bad, I took is as a question!! :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned many APC and CyberPower UPSes over the years, different models, for computers and now Apexes.
We get frequent power outages here.
Never once has any device connected to a UPS experienced so much as a hiccup when the power goes out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've owned many APC and CyberPower UPSes over the years, different models, for computers and now Apexes.
We get frequent power outages here.
Never once has any device connected to a UPS experienced so much as a hiccup when the power goes out.

I can only report what I have read - when I purchased my UPS. Standby UPS are not as reliable (for maintaining power continuously) - than are Online UPS models (Which cost more). I mean its not a debate - is it?

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only report what I have read - when I purchased my UPS. Standby UPS are not as reliable (for maintaining power continuously) - than are Online UPS models (Which cost more). I mean its not a debate - is it?
There is also line interactive which sits between the two and has very few drawbacks.

The debate is really : Is it worth paying massively more for an online (double conversion) UPS when you don't need one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is also line interactive which sits between the two and has very few drawbacks.

The debate is really : Is it worth paying massively more for an online (double conversion) UPS when you don't need one.

Yeah - IDK - the other question is - why is it needed - Ie, Apex should attempt to reconnect more than once (seems to me).

I also am only going by what I'm reading - which is that standby UPS can at times (depending on the quality) allow the device to reset. Im not trying to convince anyone to buy one or the other - Just mentioning that its a possibility - no debate at all.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assigned the Apex to a static IP address when having similar issues. I've lost my internet a couple of times since (about 6 months) but Apex Fusion has reconnected automatically every time. I never was able to figure out if the problem truly lies with Apex, or with the router. Or maybe that some of them just don't play well together.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back