Crazy apex alerts on vacation, please help

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a known issue with the apex unit. A lot of people put a battery back up on it just so it doesn’t happen.

Best thing I can suggest is go the the apex website, reset the box again and follow the apex connection setup if it doesn’t connect again.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you fully reset your apex, doesn't it forget the wifi? I don't remember if it does but maybe someone can chime in.
When mine did it the reset button made it reconnect. After the last firmware up date, when I turned my power off it came right back up on its own. Seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Http://apex.local had never worked for me, but if you can get into your router and find out the IP address for the Apex, going to the IP address in your web browser should do the trick.

Or there's free programs you can download to monitor IPs on your network. I use Wireless Network Watcher.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help all, still not reconnected but i have one or two more things im gonna try.

if it doesnt work, ill worry about it later, i just got home from a long drive, i dont have the energy right now. everything seems to be working fine, i just cant monitor

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I fought with mine trying to calibrate for 2 weekends I finally mixed up my own salinity water (43) to make it match my tank (35) After that it has actually been reliable. When i change my filter socks the skimmer makes a little more of the micro bubbles. They tend to cling to the salinity probe. Anytime it seems off I just shake the probe and the bubbles come out. Going to flip it upside down and see if that fixes the problem or drill a hole in the side of it. Bubbles don't seem to affect orp or ph probes at all.

I just use mine as a reference. I still use my salinity meter all the time for actual readings.
You know how much it pains me every time I read this sentence" I use it for reference" or "it's only good for trends"... why are we paying money if the dang thing is useless ha ha.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help all, still not reconnected but i have one or two more things im gonna try.

if it doesnt work, ill worry about it later, i just got home from a long drive, i dont have the energy right now. everything seems to be working fine, i just cant monitor

Sometimes I think I want to get more equipment and update my system from the 1970's to a wireless, effortless monitoring system but then I read about other folks experience and I know that I would never get it connected without the help of my youngest son and he doesn't like the tank. :(

(Glad that your critters are all right! Everything else is just stuff. :) )

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also go to the Apex website - and download the 'apex' app (not the fusion app for your phone- its a different app) - which will allow you to see which if any Apex are connected to your network - and their IP address. You can then access the Apex by typing the IP address.

PS if you did change the hostname of your apex - you can access it by. http://xxxxx.local) where xxxxx is the new hostname

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see which apex app you are talking about on the website but when i go to app stores to download it, its never available, or i cant find it.

i did not change my apex hostname. still cant connect to local or fusion

I have a support ticket started for this.........completely ridiculous

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i see which apex app you are talking about on the website but when i go to app stores to download it, its never available, or i cant find it.

How long did you hold the reset button?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a few seconds. everything shut off afterward and slowly devices plugged into my eb8 would come back on

I am really curious if it got fully reset for some reason. I wonder if you go through initial setup procedure by trying to connect directly to the apex not through your Wi-Fi if it’s going to recognize it.

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, when i did my initial set up, it did not have my connect directly to the apex, a least not a hard wire connection. for me, the initial set up procedure was to connect to the apex via a local wifi signal that the apex would put out, this would then let me connect to apex local i think.

i have an ethernet cable i can connect to the apex from my laptop. though when i did this, it still would not load apex local.

is there a different ip address i would type in if im doing this via hard wire connection?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There is a link to it on one of the pages - it used to be easy to find - I tried to find it but couldn't. What color is the light on your unit? is it orange? or another color?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so, when i did my initial set up, it did not have my connect directly to the apex, a least not a hard wire connection. for me, the initial set up procedure was to connect to the apex via a local wifi signal that the apex would put out, this would then let me connect to apex local i think.

i have an ethernet cable i can connect to the apex from my laptop. though when i did this, it still would not load apex local.

is there a different ip address i would type in if im doing this via hard wire connection?

That’s what I am talking about exactly. See if you can connect to Apex’s WiFi from your laptop.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If you reset it longer (with the reset button - you can reset your network settings and then start over). I believe its 5 seconds. then you can re-enter your wifi information. (the light should turn blue)

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you reset it longer (with the reset button - you can reset your network settings and then start over). I believe its 5 seconds. then you can re-enter your wifi information. (the light should turn blue)

my light is orange

if i do this, am i starting over from scratch? like i have to redo all my programming and adding devices?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back