Creating Reusable Water

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a solar oven, Evaporate the water and then condense it again. It would be pure.

I guess you thought this was a silly answer but it would do what you want.
Think of a ring standing on end.
At the top is a solar oven and the bottom of the loop is in the ground being cooled.
The water you want to reuse would be fed into the oven.
Now add a fan run by a solar cell to circulate the air around the ring.
The evaporated water created at the top would collect at the bottom. The oven doesnt have to boil the water, just heat it. You do not want enough thermal transfer that the bottom heats significantly.
You remove the water to be reused at the bottom.

How much you make would depend on scaling.

This is how the earth makes fresh water.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go coral only, nothing else. Manually scrape algae from everything. then scrub it off of rocks with a tooth brush. Dose nitrates as they are consumed to maintain desired level. Dose the big 3, dose trace elements. Never change water again???

No water changes in a year and I'm running out of room for coral.

Maybe rather than waste brain cells on trying to recycle tank water OP should put some brain cycles into figuring out why many of us don't do them and have awesome tanks.

OP
OP
brightlifeaquaculture

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a solar oven, Evaporate the water and then condense it again. It would be pure.

I guess you thought this was a silly answer but it would do what you want.
Think of a ring standing on end.
At the top is a solar oven and the bottom of the loop is in the ground being cooled.
The water you want to reuse would be fed into the oven.
Now add a fan run by a solar cell to circulate the air around the ring.
The evaporated water created at the top would collect at the bottom. The oven doesnt have to boil the water, just heat it. You do not want enough thermal transfer that the bottom heats significantly.
You remove the water to be reused at the bottom.

How much you make would depend on scaling.

This is how the earth makes fresh water.
Not silly at all I’ve never heard of it and was trying to do some research on it before I responded!

OP
OP
brightlifeaquaculture

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes in a year and I'm running out of room for coral.

Maybe rather than waste brain cells on trying to recycle tank water OP should put some brain cycles into figuring out why many of us don't do them and have awesome tanks.
I’ve done tanks with no water changes and have had great success also but for my commercial growing purposes I’ve found my recipe with changes works better for my propagation. It was an idea for more so large commercial set ups where it could of potentially made sense cost wise. I use my brain cells on plenty of ideas. I will never limit myself to just one way of thinking.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember doing a behind the scenes tour of the GA aquarium, and it seems like there's almost as much space in pipes, tanks, reactors etc involved in the water treatment as there is in the displays.
Also most of their tanks are not live coral. Only a few, so the water parameter demands are less strenuous for, say belugas or penguins. Those are mostly focused on processing large amounts of waste.
Processing aquatic mammal waste must be on par with a sewage treatment plant for a small city!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back