Creating your own bivalve bliss: Are you interested in keeping clams?

Are you interested in keeping clams?

• I currently keep clams.

Votes: 114 30.5%
  • I have kept clams in the past.

Votes: 60 16.0%
  • I haven’t kept clams yet, but I am interested in keeping clams.

Votes: 147 39.3%
  • I am not interested in keeping clams.

Votes: 49 13.1%
  • Others

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bare bottom, not certain, but I believed that means no clams for me.
I had a barebottom tank many moons ago and this derasa did quite well there.

2219.jpeg

joepdiver11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a maxima when my 32 aio tank was only a few months old. Par on the sand is about 150. I dose phyto a couple times a week and it seems happy for almost a year.

Midwestreef69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you guys that put them at the top of the scape, how do you prevent them from jumping off?
I found a smaller rock that would fit in the location in my scape. Place the clams on smaller rock in the sand for a 5-7 days. The clam attached to the rock and then moved to the location in the scape.

Note I had to build a cradle of rocks to get my clams to attach to the right rock.

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3144.jpeg
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 26

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a maxima looooong time ago when I had my 50 gallon tank. It was so cool watching it interact with the tank, and it grew quite considerably sitting underneath my 250w HQI light too!

I would definitely get another one when I get a bigger tank one day!

Here she is from 2002...also had some star polyps on both sides!

DSCN0778.JPG

DSCN0775.JPG
That’s a derasa clam.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Derasa and a Gigas. They are growing very fast and doing well. I keep them on bare bottom. They require lots of calcium and Alk. SPS and clams is all that I am interested in lol.

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to keep a clam, but don't know if my par is high enough. Really expensive mistake to make killing one if I don't have it right. I DO have a flame scallop (had two, but one died recently) that came in on the LR and has been happily inhabiting the tank for a year and a half or so now, though. Also had some local ones from the gulf, but they got eaten by a whelk that also came in on the LR (and was removed once I found it) so I need to find a way to get more of them at some point. I don't care if they're the boring native sort, they're still cute.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What counts for this? I do have a few hitchhiker bivalves on my coral
Same here. I have been so intrigued with the 2 or 3 species I have seen so far. Awesome little creatures.
I assume this refers only to the fancy clams. I have a couple of turkey wing clams I got accidentally, but those aren't nearly so impressive.
So until I saw your post, I had no idea what type of bivalve I had! So thank you for posting a reply. Looked it up and sure enough, I've got a big turkey wing clam and a few small ones in other rocks! They definitely aren't as pretty, but knowing they survived and are currently thriving in my tank, makes me think I may be able to try a fancier clam!
I don't have any fancy clams, just a couple that came as hitch hikers on other coral or live rock. But they will move around the tank keep their mouths open to filter feed.
I have quite a few hitchhiker bivalves too. I haven't seen any move though. Interesting.
(Ignore the blasto, my LPS have all been acclimated to reside under 300+ par)
Whoa! I love blastos. How long did it take to acclimate to a PAR that high?!
My little Blue Maxima Clam. On the top of my scape, in about 200 par for
2 + years.
IMG_20240117_211508.jpg
That's amazing to see one thriving in the lower PAR range. Goes to show how good they can adapt. Thanks for sharing!
Maximas use byssal threads to attach to the rockwork.
If I wanted to add one to my upper rockwork, what's the best way to get them to attach and stay?

Also, do they need to acclimate to the light intensity?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love them.
tried many in the last 20 years, had luck with a few that made it for more than 1-2 years but weirdly always ended up losing them for no apparent reason even with having them in multiple tanks, differnt lighting and different light levels, had them Qtd in Q tank with good lighting and flow for months with brushing and making sure they don't come with pests...
Were lucky to get Red see Maximas and other clams here easily till couple eyars back and its unfortunate I couldn't keep them in my tanks.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! I love blastos. How long did it take to acclimate to a PAR that high?!
To be very honest I did it accidentally, but it was over the course of about three months and two lighting upgrades. I thought my tank was under-lit, and had no meter to check for a while, and all of my corals seemed to be doing fine but then I got a few higher end pieces and wanted to make sure they had what they needed...

Long story short I finally rented a meter and boom! The tank was already sitting under 350 PAR near the middle and many of my LPS (hammers, blasto, acans) were chilling at 200 to 350. It's wild and kind of amazing how versatile they can be, but it inadvertently gave me that middle hotspot for the clam I had been craving. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

I'm not sure I would entirely recommend it though. I got a new hammer and I'm fairly certain the intense par is why I encountered my first episode of polyp bailout for an otherwise healthy coral.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t think I could sustain one but watched a video where squamosa s were thriving under 200 par. Rolled the dice on a 2” one but it only lasted about 4 weeks. I really love them and if I ever upgrade my tank and lights it will be partly to keep clams.
Do you remember the video name? I’m researching what beginner clam to get.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember the video name? I’m researching what beginner clam to get.
Sorry I don’t but I do remember squamosa and derosa clams seem to be the easiest. Tons of videos on YouTube about the easiest clams. Good luck.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick pic of my turkey wing clam this morning. There are a few other tiny ones (compared to this guy) in a few other spots. They've got great camouflage.
1000006696.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back