Critique My Build

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m buying a house in the next three months and need to keep things on a budget; for the reef it’s $3,000 for the year (so all future stuff too). Almost everything is a compromise between maximizing value. I know everyone has their opinions, but what I’d really like to know is if this system will work or if I’m going to run into trouble down the road.

Goal: Mixed reef, *easier* SPS mid-top, LPS throughout, zoa’s here and there, and sea fans (think Caribbean Sea/Flower Garden Banks biotope tank). 4-8 small-medium fish with 1 medium herbivore. And a variety of invertebrates with emphasis on snails vs hermits – maybe 15-20 total depending on load.

Gear*
SCA 66 Gallon Starfire Rimless w/ SCA-302 Skimmer, Stand, & Sump ($1,400)
2x Red Sea LED 90 ($756)
2x Red Sea 90 Mounting Arm – 18.25”-21.25” ($139)
2x Kessil A150W Ocean Blue (On Hand) – Supplemental Lighting
3x Red Sea Pro Mix ($286)
1x ATO Unit ($180 Set Aside – still researching)
1x ATO Reservoir ($30 Set Aside – still researching)
2x Rubbermaid “Brute” Trash Cans ($75)
1x Red Sea Tank Maturation Program ($36)
4x CaribSea Arag-Alive 20lb Special Grade, Bahamas Oolite (~$160)
1x 40lb Caribsea Live Rock - Aquacultured ($178)
1x 15lb Caribsea Purple Rock In Current Tank (On Hand)
1x HMA-S 300 Watt Titanium Heater w/ Guard and Controller ($41)
1x Hygger Mini Wave Maker ($78) – Have 1 already
1x Refugium Starter Kit/Pods – Aquacultured ($25)
RODI System (On Hand)
Various Test Kits (On Hand)
Various Chemicals & Media (On Hand)
Refractometer (On Hand)
SeaChem Matrix (On Hand)
100w Heater for Mixing Bucket (On Hand)
SeaChem Reef Fusion 1 & 2 (On Hand) Manually Dose for first year to save $$$
Flipper (On Hand)
Various Powerheads (On Hand) Will Add As Required

$3385.00
-$400 (Credit Card Rewards and other discounts)

Total: $2985

*Taxes/Shipping Included

I know this is a lot of info – maybe I should just list these things one at a time – but seeing the “whole” package is probably better so people know the big picture. The lights are my biggest frustration. It doesn’t appear there’s a light combination that goes for much less than $900 if I want to keep SPS in my tank. I’ll try e-Bay every week for the next couple of months, but finding pairs is going to be rough I think.

Oh, I’m getting an Neptune controller next year so think evolution with devices if applicable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List looks good not too familiar with some of the brands you are using but I see for your ato you could do a couple things a little different. There are some good ato options for much less than your budgeted amount and for the reservoir you can watch for the $1 per gallon sales at petco or pet supplies plus. For your rock you said you have some already in a tank you could also cut back to regular dry rock instead of caribsea live rock if you wanted to save some on your rock. Dry rock would become live rock fairly quick with your current live rock you already have. The only thing I would change is your heater i would get 2 titanium heaters with controls and run them both. I learned the hard way on that one. Heater went out during the winter while we were moving and our internet had already been transferred to new house so my apex couldnt notify me. Lost majority of my fish and coral in my fully stocked 90. Now i have 2 titanium with controllers and my apex as back up controller in my 220.
I think you could go with different lighting as well and save money there too. I'm not big on the high dollar lighting. I'm running 5 165w viparspectra led lights off ebay or amazon on my 220 sps dominate and I didnt spend as much as you are budgeting for the red sea leds and mounting arms. I know people who use them and like them but they also compliment me on my color and growth all the time when it comes up. My sure of the dimensions on that tank but you could get the 300W viparspectra with 2 channel control and built in timers for around $200. Comes with a 2 year warranty as well.

I think you will be set up for success with your list of items but it sounded like this was somewhat of a budget build and those things are what I thought you could make some changes to and save a little for future tank additions like maybe Apex now instead of later on. Anyways just my 2 cents good luck on your build and I look forward to seeing what your final decisions are and what your tank looks like.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The lights you've picked are good lights. If you're looking for a little bit cheaper option, perhaps look into Noopsyche as well.

OP
OP
MaxxuM

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List looks good not too familiar with some of the brands you are using but I see for your ato you could do a couple things a little different. There are some good ato options for much less than your budgeted amount and for the reservoir you can watch for the $1 per gallon sales at petco or pet supplies plus. For your rock you said you have some already in a tank you could also cut back to regular dry rock instead of caribsea live rock if you wanted to save some on your rock. Dry rock would become live rock fairly quick with your current live rock you already have. The only thing I would change is your heater i would get 2 titanium heaters with controls and run them both. I learned the hard way on that one. Heater went out during the winter while we were moving and our internet had already been transferred to new house so my apex couldnt notify me. Lost majority of my fish and coral in my fully stocked 90. Now i have 2 titanium with controllers and my apex as back up controller in my 220.
I think you could go with different lighting as well and save money there too. I'm not big on the high dollar lighting. I'm running 5 165w viparspectra led lights off ebay or amazon on my 220 sps dominate and I didnt spend as much as you are budgeting for the red sea leds and mounting arms. I know people who use them and like them but they also compliment me on my color and growth all the time when it comes up. My sure of the dimensions on that tank but you could get the 300W viparspectra with 2 channel control and built in timers for around $200. Comes with a 2 year warranty as well.

I think you will be set up for success with your list of items but it sounded like this was somewhat of a budget build and those things are what I thought you could make some changes to and save a little for future tank additions like maybe Apex now instead of later on. Anyways just my 2 cents good luck on your build and I look forward to seeing what your final decisions are and what your tank looks like.

You're right about the heaters. I'll adjust the prices...

I've looked at those lights. I don't want to use pendants. The Noopsyche mentioned below may be an option with the mounting arms, but I'm on the fence with those too.

You've given me some good points to consider!

OP
OP
MaxxuM

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights you've picked are good lights. If you're looking for a little bit cheaper option, perhaps look into Noopsyche as well.

I actually never heard of the brand and did some research and it seems people like them. You know more about them than I do so maybe you've heard of my two big concerns. How valuable is the warranty and will there be consistency in a year from now? Chinese companies tend to change at a moments notice. Will they be there in a year to support my needs? Many of these companies tend to change manufacturing from month to month. So, if the fixture blows up in nine months will there still be a company there to help and if so how likely will there be of getting an identical looking and operating fixture? I'd hate to get a replacement that looks different and works differently. With Red Sea I'm pretty sure they will be there in five years and would be able to replace/fix my fixtures to identical condition. Basically, I just want a piece of mind if I'm going to spent $460 on their product.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back