Critter ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter robf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

robf

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
154
Reaction score
36
Location
Peoria, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me what this tiny guy is and if he can stay or if he should go. He's fluorescent green and has stayed this size for a while. I don't think he's a manjo.

image-4226036614.jpg
 
Aiptasia? Not sure which thing you are pointing at, but there does seem to be an aiptasia in the picture at about 4 O'clock from your thumb.
 
Yeah it seems to be aptasia. Feed it some kalk paste :D
 
Yep the critter in question is at 4 oclock Are aiptasia green? This guy is buried in LR so I can't see him so well.
 
Yeah it seems to be aptasia. Feed it some kalk paste :D
it is aptasia an should be eliminated immediately

Hah! These made me laugh for some reason...maybe because it's two in the morning.

Aiptasia get kinda a bad rap imo (ooh but I do hate them too) but I have to tend to agree that the best control is to take out the visible ones immediately.

In my tank i shoot em up with vinegar and let the sexy shrimp eat the body, which they very surprisingly eagerly do. Kalkwasser paste is also excellent as mentioned by the mischievous Loki.
 
Never seen or heard of a colored aiptasia, FWIW. I've heard others refer to those as a type of majano (j is pronounced like an h - not like a "man" named "jo" ;) ) and majanos are commonly colored green, but I'm not sure it's that either.

What is for sure is that it's a hitchhiker polyp of some sort, whether coral or anemone, and if he survived his way into the tank that almost always means he will be a pest.

My call would be to nuke him ASAP.

-Matt
 
Never seen or heard of a colored aiptasia, FWIW. I've heard others refer to those as a type of majano (j is pronounced like an h - not like a "man" named "jo" ;) ) and majanos are commonly colored green, but I'm not sure it's that either.

What is for sure is that it's a hitchhiker polyp of some sort, whether coral or anemone, and if he survived his way into the tank that almost always means he will be a pest.

My call would be to nuke him ASAP.

-Matt

Actually looking at it again I think it might be a majano as you said or even a palythoa? Very hard to see with that pic.
 
I agree with nuking it with some kalk paste. You don't want it to get out of control.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new