Critter on frag, help ID

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3DBDF68-1303-44F2-9F0F-DD42E98A4850.jpeg

Any idea on what this is. Found it when inspecting frag of rock that had zoas I purchase

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    9.9 MB

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks like a Nudibranch or possibly a Isopod/Amphipod. I would definitely dip the whole piece. I dip everything with Seachem Iodine Dip, but ZOAS are a MUST for dipping. Use a pipette to dislodge things in the crevices of the rock too. They can handle more dip than other corals, and even Hydrogen Peroxide pretty well if there is a lot of algae on them.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I would add a hitchhiker intentionally when inspecting/dipping is if it is a mini brittle stars, amphipods, or small white worms (not sure what they are called) since they are all great CUC and can help increase biodiversity.

OP
OP
wince718

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Yeah learn a lesson once. I’m going to dip everything from now on. Even a trusted source can’t be trusted.

OP
OP
wince718

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks like a Nudibranch or possibly a Isopod/Amphipod. I would definitely dip the whole piece. I dip everything with Seachem Iodine Dip, but ZOAS are a MUST for dipping. Use a pipette to dislodge things in the crevices of the rock too. They can handle more dip than other corals, and even Hydrogen Peroxide pretty well if there is a lot of algae on them.
Have you any experience with Bayer dips? Seems like a popular option from what I have seen

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better picture would help, but it does look more to me like a mantis shrimp or similar shrimp-like animal such as an amphipod...

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you any experience with Bayer dips? Seems like a popular option from what I have seen
I have no experience with Bayer dips. I have pretty much have only used Seachem Dip, which is relatively mild, but will still kill a lot of stuff. It is just always a risk adding a rock into a tank since even harsh dips and methods may not completely take out the problem since some pests have laid eggs, and the eggs might not be affected. But do what you think is best. I have had a couple Zoanthid frags before. My first coral was a Zoa and I didn't dip it...... I got incredibly lucky and I didn't get any pests, but all the other frags I dipped (some of which had a bit of live rock) I dipped with Seachem dip and I have never had any Zoa pests in my tank.

Back