Critters on Hammer Coral

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for opinions on what these little "bugs" are. They are on a very old hammer coral. The hammer has had some heads slowly die. At first I suspected other issues, but I recently saw these. I have not seen them on any other coral, and I have lots of other LPS.

Any opinions are appreciated. I have very little experience with these types of pests (assuming they are pests). Side note, my Corris Wrasse now circles the hammer all day :)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider sucking a couple out with a turkey baster and putting into small container with a little bit of water for better pictures/video?

OP
OP
MikeO5422

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider sucking a couple out with a turkey baster and putting into small container with a little bit of water for better pictures/video?
I'll see if i can get them under a microscope.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MikeO5422

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome read thank you.

I finally got a video of one...that was very challenging. This thing is slightly red tinted and incredibly small. It is very difficult to find even in a drop of water. These are also the best pics I could get. He has a tiny red dot on his head.

Removed him from the base of a frogspawn polyp with a tiny dropper. They appear as tiny red and black dots on the coral frogspawn.

4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome read thank you.

I finally got a video of one...that was very challenging. This thing is slightly red tinted and incredibly small. It is very difficult to find even in a drop of water.

Removed him from the base of a frogspawn polyp with a tiny dropper. They appear as tiny red and black dots on the coral frogspawn.

Great video an pics! Yeah, I'll do some more reading up on copepod morphology and see if I can't figure out a more specific ID, but I'm guessing it's a coral-parasitic copepod species.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back