crocea clam repositioning, what to do?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a beautiful crocea clam. Made a cradle out of reef putty with a curved piece of rubble pushed into it for stability. Yesterday places the clam on the ribble and let it attach upright, see pic:
IMG_20220414_095913427~2.jpg

Came in this AM and it has tilted. I think it had better light angle previously, but maybe the clam feels differently. Or maybe it was an accident. See pics:
IMG_20220415_100005847.jpg

IMG_20220415_100028212.jpg

IMG_20220415_100013168.jpg

View from higher up:
IMG_20220415_100106690.jpg

Should I try to reposition it? Put another piece of rubble beneath it for stability? Leave it alone (worried it could be taxing on the foot to hold it up like that indefinitely)? What would you do?

Thanks!!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that it is just trying to find it's happy place based on the flow in your tank. Mine will turn when I make changes to the flow in the tank. Pretty normal. Just let it do its thing and it will settle in. I know my clam is happy and comfortable when it no longer reacts to me waving my hand over it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
Don’t move him.
That they really hate.
Clams can “move” themselves to regulate flow.
Once attached, moving can be fatal if the bysall thread is damaged.
Only move if it becomes fully detached or in danger of sting.
If he’s stuck, that’s good.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
Don’t move him.
That they really hate.
Clams can “move” themselves to regulate flow.
Once attached, moving can be fatal if the bysall thread is damaged.
Only move if it becomes fully detached or in danger of sting.
If he’s stuck, that’s good.
It seems that it is just trying to find it's happy place based on the flow in your tank. Mine will turn when I make changes to the flow in the tank. Pretty normal. Just let it do its thing and it will settle in. I know my clam is happy and comfortable when it no longer reacts to me waving my hand over it.
They don't have any problem holding themselves up like that at a 45 degree angle? I could add a bit of rubble under the side that is hanging over the edge in case it falls off... I've more or less learned that hands-off generally works better, but managing the impulse to "help" is tough.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands off is better 99% of the time. Your clam looks good, I would just leave it alone and observe over the next month or so.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say it depends. If it is hanging a bit, put some rock around it to make it more secure so it does not fall. You do not want it to rip. Otherwise you can leave it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at mine to see where it was at and it is currently leaning in what I would call the 11 o'clock position so about 330 degrees if 0 was 12 o'clock straight upright.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at mine to see where it was at and it is currently leaning in what I would call the 11 o'clock position so about 330 degrees if 0 was 12 o'clock straight upright.
Mine looks at about 2 o clock from the siphon side, 10 o clock from the other.

I say it depends. If it is hanging a bit, put some rock around it to make it more secure so it does not fall. You do not want it to rip. Otherwise you can leave it.

I might wedge some rubble above the barnacle without touching the clam--wouldn't want it falling into the sand bed below.

Thanks everyone!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, just seeing this now. As others have stated, leave it be, but make sure the cradle is secure. They will orient themselves according to light, flow, etc so it will find its happy place. Just ask yourself this question, do you think every clam on the reef sits perfectly perpendicular to the surface of the water or light? You would be amazed at all of the places clams settle out on the reef. They have the ability to move their mantle to capture light and they also have the ability to relocate the structures (zoo, iridophores) within the mantle in order to redirect or reflect incoming light. They are extremely complex animals, just provide them with plenty of full spectrum daylight and they’ll be happy. If you haven’t done so already, buy the latest book by James Fatherree here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back