Crypto wins the gamble- QT Journal

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add here. And hope things are going well. Apparently somewhere I messed up. Not sure when. I had to remove all my fish from the display again. Lost my kole tang yesterday. The rest are going to be moved into the second TTM tonight. I have around 40 gallons of prepared water to do changes as needed. Also seeding the tanks with live rock from another tank. Algae bloom last night. Changed 80 percent of the water and turned up the power head. I have an order of CP coming to a vet that has a marine tank. Going to treat them as soon as it arrives. Not sure it is only ich.

But here is my thought to everyone who has gone through this. Why not buy a couple of black Molly's to be sure there is no parasites in the DT and the observation tank before returning the fish to it? I rather like the idea of a couple of Molly's in my tank. I do not wish to go through this a 4th time. Will be looking into the how's of acclimating them before needed.

Shelley

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish I apologize if this is not the best place for this question ahead of time. My CP is expected to arrive any day now. I have been doing TTM until it arrives. Do I need to move them again before adding the CP to kill all stages of crypto or can I leave them in the quarantine tank that is now on day 3. Would normally move them into a new tank tonight before 9 pm.

Shelley

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to move them, just to keep ahead of the parasites.

CP, like just about every treatment I know of, works best on the theronts - the free-swimming, fish-hunting stage of ich's lifecycle.

~Bruce

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sorry, I found your original thread for this. Sorry that you had to go through all of this but I'm glad you are back on track! *

I know this thread has went 16 months without a reply but just wondering what ended up happening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up pulling all the fish for a second round, after I finally caught the last two it was pretty uneventful. Copper, fallow, back to DT....

Edit. Ok, just went back and re-read where I left off. The tusk and the powder brown both came around with the copper at the appropriate level... so it was the stress/parasites, not copper sensitivity. I ended up selling those two rather than putting them back in my display, because in the short amount of time they were in my 120 I realized it was probably too small of a tank for them.

I ended up selling them after they were healthy, and picking up a yellow tang instead. Unfortunately, lost the yellow and the kole in a tank contamination incident not too long after all of this... but everyone else that got through both rounds of QT is still with me now :) Besides the rhomboid which was sold almost a year later for other reasons.

The mandarin hung out in her little safe QT until I felt the other fish were all clear, then in the last two weeks of my fallow period I removed all the rock and dosed CP. Once all the fish were moved over, I moved her too - without removing the CP. Probably a risk, but at that point I was OVER having her in QT and I'd never really observed symptoms on her anyway so I doubted having an "observation period" would really matter. It worked out just fine.

I've been able to QT several other fish successfully after this too. I feel like this fiasco was the learning experience I needed to get me completely in-tune with my QT skills lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for fun, pictures of the two-round survivors that I still own today

e0e451ec2678559d809b92a845962bb3.jpg

2b3723f90bd4200e9dc53e0678da7e7c.jpg

5ae8553dfdd759ffbc19e7620f2b63d4.jpg

3fe7fef83dde437fbc394a0abaf315f3.jpg
0b45c315d2c38a04361b2b5145add613.jpg
eb83f99d0ea3086513405ad6a96712c8.jpg

Don’t have any good pictures of the male Clarki but you can see him the background, these two came in at the end of the first batch of QT... but were in the full second round so they are included.
4b7c62b1b6112d5b74a6d41b1a8657a0.jpg

And the original pair of percula clowns stayed behind in the QT to make room for the clarki pair in the 120. They have new surroundings and a bunch of nems to keep them happy :)

6e6ce36137abbb1fb92a23c0d772e2da.jpg

And, the rhomboid just before he was sold:
04ba479925520fdad26e0456cf7b7ae0.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up pulling all the fish for a second round, after I finally caught the last two it was pretty uneventful. Copper, fallow, back to DT....

Edit. Ok, just went back and re-read where I left off. The tusk and the powder brown both came around with the copper at the appropriate level... so it was the stress/parasites, not copper sensitivity. I ended up selling those two rather than putting them back in my display, because in the short amount of time they were in my 120 I realized it was probably too small of a tank for them.

I ended up selling them after they were healthy, and picking up a yellow tang instead. Unfortunately, lost the yellow and the kole in a tank contamination incident not too long after all of this... but everyone else that got through both rounds of QT is still with me now :) Besides the rhomboid which was sold almost a year later for other reasons.

The mandarin hung out in her little safe QT until I felt the other fish were all clear, then in the last two weeks of my fallow period I removed all the rock and dosed CP. Once all the fish were moved over, I moved her too - without removing the CP. Probably a risk, but at that point I was OVER having her in QT and I'd never really observed symptoms on her anyway so I doubted having an "observation period" would really matter. It worked out just fine.

I've been able to QT several other fish successfully after this too. I feel like this fiasco was the learning experience I needed to get me completely in-tune with my QT skills lol
Thank you for this thread and your experience!

I just picked up a spotted mandy and was wondering about cupermine and these guys. Your thread was the first to pop up.

Feels good to know so fast the answers to my questions because of this site and people like you.

I will be treating my little guy/girl in cupermine for 14 days and then TTM to his new home.

I really do thank you!!

Back