OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update again, still can't catch the last two fish. They've caught on to the trap and won't touch it. Bought a piece of plexiglass that I'm going to cut to fit the top corner. The idea is to slide it under the fish while they are distracted with food and section them away from the rocks.

If that doesn't work, we may have to drain the tank to get them...ugh

Meanwhile, since all the fish going into the 40g are already there I've started adding copper to that tank. It's at about .35 now, and most of the spots have dropped away. Fish are eating and behaving normally.

Last edited:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had to remove most of our rocks to catch a few fish. Used large, clean, garbage cans to place them into with water from the tank. Then we replaced them after catching the fish out. No draining and restarting a cycle. Good luck! :)

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going fishing sometimes works. Use a small hook and file the barb off. Bait it with a tasty morsel and go fishing!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too used a sheet of plexiglass a while back.

I slowly cornered them into the front corner (easier to catch them there) and had my husband quickly slide the plexiglass in as close to the side wall as he could without crushing the fish.

The trick is to make the tank the fish are on as small as possible. It worked for me and chromis's are fast little buggers!

It also helps to turn off any water flow or the plexiglass won't stay put, or you could always drill holes.

I hope you don't do the hook thing. If the fish swallows the hook...well... you know what'll happen then.

Good luck and keep trying.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I have heard of some having success but I probably wouldn't try a hook. Even if they didn't swallow it I'd worry about damage and/or infection. My goal is to get through this round with NO casualties.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I have heard of some having success but I probably wouldn't try a hook. Even if they didn't swallow it I'd worry about damage and/or infection. My goal is to get through this round with NO casualties.
Proper sizing of the hook is critical!

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't caught the last two fish. But regardless, I've been struggling this week with the fish already in QT.

The smaller QT is doing great, but I lost the regal angel in the larger one and the powder brown tang isn't looking too great either. Copper is pretty much therapeutic, around .4-.5; I just think the powder brown is worn down and his breathing is VERY fast. Did a freshwater dip yesterday and confirmed it's not flukes, but he is still breathing very rapidly today. I'm afraid the damage might already be done.

Besides that, I noticed the kole tang is being a bit of an butthead to the PB and the tusk both, and the tusk has been hiding and refusing to eat today. I'm going to remove the kole to another tank and see if that makes a difference for either fish.

Copper has only been therapeutic since this week really, and that's when things started going downhill...I'm half wondering if that's bothering the PB and tusk, although they both were fine with copper when I treated them before. I'm thinking it's better to stay the course to clear out the parasites, but if anyone has any other insight I'd be happy to hear it...

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of doing ttm for the fish that aren't handling the copper? Also is there a chance that maybe when you treated before the copper level wasn't high enough which is why they handled it better?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't caught the last two fish. But regardless, I've been struggling this week with the fish already in QT.

The smaller QT is doing great, but I lost the regal angel in the larger one and the powder brown tang isn't looking too great either. Copper is pretty much therapeutic, around .4-.5; I just think the powder brown is worn down and his breathing is VERY fast. Did a freshwater dip yesterday and confirmed it's not flukes, but he is still breathing very rapidly today. I'm afraid the damage might already be done.

Besides that, I noticed the kole tang is being a bit of an butthead to the PB and the tusk both, and the tusk has been hiding and refusing to eat today. I'm going to remove the kole to another tank and see if that makes a difference for either fish.

Copper has only been therapeutic since this week really, and that's when things started going downhill...I'm half wondering if that's bothering the PB and tusk, although they both were fine with copper when I treated them before. I'm thinking it's better to stay the course to clear out the parasites, but if anyone has any other insight I'd be happy to hear it...
I would also point out that copper is damaging to the fish. It hasn't been all that long since the previous treatment. I would worry that it may not have fully recovered which may be making it more sensitive.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of doing ttm for the fish that aren't handling the copper? Also is there a chance that maybe when you treated before the copper level wasn't high enough which is why they handled it better?

I have two 10 gallons for TTM, but since I'm still not 100% sure it's only ich (about 90%, but there is a small chance it could be, or also be, velvet) I'm a little nervous abandoning copper and the tanks would be pretty small/stressful for them in any case.

I'm pretty confident the levels were high enough, but I guess I could be reading it wrong. I'll get a picture of where I am now to confirm.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also point out that copper is damaging to the fish. It hasn't been all that long since the previous treatment. I would worry that it may not have fully recovered which may be making it more sensitive.

Very true...but if there is any chance it's velvet I'm not sure what else I could do.

Remove the wrasse and treat the tang and tusk with CP maybe?

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm I haven't been reading this wrong...top left is QT in question, and top right is the reference test which is supposed to be .5. I'm seeing this as .4, but I'm going to work on getting it up a bit higher so there's no chance of it dipping below therapeutic.

14ebf3af18cead7e8fcb5b7f8c855d8d.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear this is kicking you so hard.

You don't deserve this ... but it will help you to help others into the future.

(I know ... that "silver lining" has gotta feel pretty thin right now . . . )

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm I haven't been reading this wrong...top left is QT in question, and top right is the reference test which is supposed to be .5. I'm seeing this as .4, but I'm going to work on getting it up a bit higher so there's no chance of it dipping below therapeutic.

I agree it's 0.4 mg/L; I would bump it up a little.

I'm sorry this has turned into such a nightmare for you. I like to think that sometimes there is a reason. It once took me an entire year to get a PBT healthy enough where I felt confident putting her in my DT. I would stay up late at night, hand feeding her while she lay breathing heavy on the bottom of the QT, not knowing exactly what was wrong. Later on, I realized I learned more from saving that fish's life than I ever could from a healthy PBT.
;)

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this thread. I am constantly impressed by the commitment that folks like you, Humble, Meredith, etc have to helping all of us with your knowledge and expertise. I am sorry to learn of your troubles, and am rooting for you! I wish I could help somehow, but I only know what I've learned from you guys. Hopefully, some day, you'll be over all of this!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you lost your regal. I am so sorry to have heard this. :( I really like mine and know how devastated you must be.

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you lost your regal. I am so sorry to have heard this. :( I really like mine and know how devastated you must be.

Shelley

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while, how is this working out for you (well, I hope!).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back